Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83854 times)

Offline giants

Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
Jim C, I just checked my tool collection.

I have a US Craftsman with the marking VVR 44363. I can't decode the VVR. Do you know the manufacturer and approximate date of manufacture?

Thanks

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »
Hey giants,

I’m going to guess somewhere around 2002 to 2005, give or take.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2019, 11:08:36 AM »
Hey Jim,
What do you think about these wrenches. It’s my belief that they were made by MDF right after the transition from long C wrenches but they hadn’t started using =V= yet as a manufacturer’s mark. They all have the pointed A. The pictures of the individual combo wrench are easier to ID with the cast in V.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »
Hi Don,

I’m in agreement with you, particularly after seeing that forged “V” on the shank.  I’d say very early =V= era from MDF.  THANKS FOR THE PICTURES!

Jim C.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:21 AM »
While looking through my -v- tools, I discovered two more MDF looking unmarked wrenches. I’m a little surprised that they don’t look older. The last shot is all of the unmarked wrenches.
-Don
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:09:25 PM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
A while back I posted separate threads regarding Craftsman =V= era Whitworth and metric tools as shown and described in the Sears/Craftsman 1960 hand tool catalog.  Well, there was a very basic SAE set listed as well.  My goal was to complete the Whitworth and metric sets, but when I came across another correct tool box that was in respectable condition, I figured, "What the heck. I may as well go for the SAE set too."  Like the Whitworth and metric sets, this set includes the same 1/2" drive tools, however, there are no DOE or DBE wrenches. The hard pieces to collect were toolbox, the breaker bar T handle and the Type 1 ratchet.  The sockets, the speed wrench, the extensions and the breaker bar are fairly common items. 

Jim C. 

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2019, 05:16:07 AM »
Your set looks period perfect. I found an earlier set that seemed to have many of its original pieces and have added additional pieces to it like an owner may have done at the time. I didn’t check any catalogs until today. The wrench set came with the box.
-Don
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:19:19 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2019, 05:28:41 AM »
Here is a Crown box I’ve been adding =v= tools to. Once again, I hadn’t checked the catalog until today.
-Don
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:32:41 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2019, 05:43:38 AM »
Here is another Crown box, possibly closer to yours in age that I’ve been throwing more =v= tools in. These things are starting to build up in my garage!
-Don
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:57:26 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2019, 10:18:30 AM »
Wow, wow, wow Don!!! Great looking sets!  You’ve got some really nice =V= tools there!  That’s a super collection.  The boxes are tough to come by.  Thanks for the pictures!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:38:26 AM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Don,

I'm still using the 1960 Sears/Craftsman hand tool catalog as my guide, but found a specific instance when the actual picture of the tools included in a particular set doesn't necessarily match the written description.  I've been trying to complete this basic 3/8" drive set as shown in the 1960 catalog.  While the picture shows seven sockets beginning with 7/16" and running through 3/4", notice that one of the sockets is sized at 19/32".  I'm almost positive Sears/ Craftsman never offered a 19/32" socket in the 3/8" drive series.  The written description of the set (circled in red) lists the sockets sizes as 3/8" through 3/4", which is what is depicted in the photo of the tools I've collected so far.  Also look at the speed wrench.  While 1/2" drive versions from that era have a top knob and handle, I'm pretty sure the 3/8" drive speed wrenches only had a top knob.  Once again, I think the picture in the catalog is wrong.  I'm still keeping an eye out for a 3/8" drive with a knob and a handle, but I'm about to buy one with just the top knob, which is what I believe to be correct for the era.

The other thing I noticed is that the tool box looks like the the same box included with the 1/2" drive sets, however it only has one latch unlike the 1/2" drive box that has two latches.  When one reads the written description, the dimensions of the box included with the 3/8" drive set are clearly a little smaller than those of the 1/2" drive box.  I have yet to run across that slightly smaller box!  I wouldn't have even considered it unless the dimensions were so precisely spelled out in the written description.  Have you seen one of these smaller boxes?  As for the rest of the tools, once again, the Type 1 ratchet (particularly in the 3/8" drive size) might be tough to find.  And as always, the T handle that goes with the breaker bar can be tricky too.  Generally speaking however, it looks like the tool box could be the hardest piece of the set to find.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:44:15 PM by Jim C. »

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »
I think that I have most of the =v= 3/8” drive tools pictured in the set on the right and I sold a similar but probably newer set like the one on the left on eBay. It even included the rare crossbar. I have one more really ugly Crown box that may only have one latch but I never measured it.
-Don
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:11:14 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2019, 05:09:07 AM »
Jim,
Here is a newer 3/8” drive speeder and my single clasp Crown box. I think that it’s the same size as my others and not the smaller 3/8” drive box that you discovered.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the photos Don.  As far as I can tell, the 1/2” drive box is about 19.5 inches long, while the 3/8” drive box is 17.5 inches long.  The height and width of both boxes is about the same.  Maybe it’s a misprint in the written catalog description and the box you have is actually correct.  Who knows?  I guess I’m going to keep looking for a 17.5 inch long box with one clasp.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:36:41 PM by Jim C. »

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2019, 08:17:11 AM »
Jim,
Looking at a couple of pictures of the interior of the box, the socket slot looks like it is more appropriate for 1/2” drive sockets rather than 3/8” drive.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR