Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83261 times)

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »
I just pulled the trigger.  It will be here shortly. At $125 and even $100, it was too strong for me, but at $75 shipped, I can do it.  That is an enormous amount of info.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »
The cd's came today. Shipped from  Ventura CA on Thursday.  Nice work USPs! It is two cd's 1927 to 1969 on one and 1970 to 2013 on the other. I'll post after I spend some time on it.

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
It is a very useable tool. It is broken down into ten year files with each catalog a PDF within the file. The scans are much better than Rose Tool pdf's. When you print a page, it is very clear. There is some pre 1927 pages from the big books. I am glad that  I bought it. No Craftsman collector should be without it.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
Thanks for answering all my questions ahead of time. I think I'll spring for a copy after tax time.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »
I think I'm gonna check that out too.  Thanks for the first impression review.  Do you have a link to the purchase site?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:15:32 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »

Kijiji King

MrCraftsmanTools

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
Thank you for your kind words about the Craftsman DVD set.

I tried to make it the highest quality possible within the confines of reasonable file size, and economics.  In the beginning I was making it for my own use.  The catalogs themselves, especially the older Sears Big Book catalogs, can be dirty, musty, and have brittle pages.  I would have to wash my hands after looking through them.  It was also time consuming to just pick out the Craftsman products from the Sears Big Book catalogs that weren't in the Tool Catalogs, when thumbing through the pages.  I started collecting some of the old Craftsman ratchets in the beginning.  Then I started buying a few catalogs.  At some point my OCD took over and I ended up searching daily for every Craftsman tool catalog ever produced.  I didn't stop there.  There were a number of years where Sears didn't produce any tool catalogs.  So I ended up in bidding wars and bought every Sears Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter Big Book catalog from 1927 to present.  I painstakingly took apart all the Big Book catalogs so I could produce high quality scans on all the Craftsman product pages.  I also included about a dozen pages from each Big Book catalog with bits of fun stuff, nostalgia and Americana.  For instance, there are pages in there from the 1950's where you could buy (from Sears) a baby alligator, "harmless when small, won't outgrow it's pen for five years", donkey, mule, monkeys, exotic birds and so much more. 

Scanning the catalog pages was just the first step in preparing the catalog files.   Each cover was digitally restored to its former glory.  All the writers marks and printing artifacts, along with ragged edges were all removed.  As needed, the pages were rotated, cropped, and all the pages that had centerfolds spread across two pages were all aligned to look nice.  I had zero experience before taking on this project, and at times it could be very frustrating, and of course, very tedious.  I can say in the end I am very happy with it.  I think all the catalogs look visually beautiful from cover to cover. 
Plus I have included a number of pre Craftsman catalogs.  How about a multi-station woodworking tool setup for making wagon wheels.

John, do you agree with what I have written?   Or would you say it is mediocre in quality?  :)

David Maher  MrCraftsmanTools@aol.com

It is currently on Ebay.  If anyone wants to skip Ebay and Paypal, that would drop my cost by $10 and I will pass along the savings.  $65 with free postage.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »
Nice to have you check in , Dave!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
Yes; it's always good to hear from the source, Dave!

It is undoubtedly a huge undertaking and I am only too aware with how much work is involved. You should be justifiably proud.

It is currently on Ebay.  If anyone wants to skip Ebay and Paypal, that would drop my cost by $10 and I will pass along the savings.  $65 with free postage.

I am also aware that the project did not pan out entirely as you had wanted. I truly believe that you will end up making more in the long run by introducing this price reduction.

I for one will be taking you up on this offer! Thank you & I will be in touch over the next day or two with my order!

I've wanted a copy for a long time. Woo hoo!

Kijiji King

Offline DavidMaher

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »
It has panned out the way I wanted.  Indeed!  I'm happy with the end result.  A quality product that is fast and easy to use.  From my desktop icon, I can be looking at any catalog I wish in 2 seconds flat.  :)

I'm not overly concerned about money.  Some neurologic medical issues have put things in perspective for me.  I'm just happy to share.  Last week in the Maintenance Dept at work at the hospital I gave about 10 Craftsman DVD sets away as gifts.  Not trying to get rid of them, but I have been working in that department since July and the guys have treated me like family from day one.  They are a great group of guys.  They also look after me if I am having any episodes of my movement disorder or having a seizure.  In the early days of working there, I told them about my neuro disorders from the vaccination I got in July 2010 from being exposed to a doctor with whopping cough, and told them they can poke fun at me as much as they do the other guys.  They don't have to treat me special or watch what they say.  It's all good. 

What do you call an epileptic cow?  Beef Jerkey    Sometimes they guys will greet me with "what's shakin?"   I sometimes respond "me" :)
Next time one sees me shaking, I want to say I'd like some fries with my shake please.  :)

I was almost finished with this DVD set in July 2010, till I got the vaccination and got inflamation of the brain.  I wasn't able to be on the computer to start the process of finishing it for 2 1/2 years.  I'm glad I was able to finish it.  I get exhausted easily now, so I won't be a regular on here.  But I will pop my head in now and then.  Thanks for the invite.

Dave

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »
Thanks for stopping by David. By the way, the quality of your work is outstanding. Lbgradwell has cleaned up more than a few tool catalogs for us. He, more than the rest of us can understand the level of effort that this took.
I suggest that you sign on as a member. The vast storehouse of knowledge found on this forum is phenomenal. My half an hour or so spent here every morning has been a huge education for me. It is also the most considerate, friendly group on the Internet.

Thanks again for all of your effort.

John

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »
Thank you for your kind words about the Craftsman DVD set.

I tried to make it the highest quality possible within the confines of reasonable file size, and economics.  In the beginning I was making it for my own use.  The catalogs themselves, especially the older Sears Big Book catalogs, can be dirty, musty, and have brittle pages.  I would have to wash my hands after looking through them.  It was also time consuming to just pick out the Craftsman products from the Sears Big Book catalogs that weren't in the Tool Catalogs, when thumbing through the pages.  I started collecting some of the old Craftsman ratchets in the beginning.  Then I started buying a few catalogs.  At some point my OCD took over and I ended up searching daily for every Craftsman tool catalog ever produced.  I didn't stop there.  There were a number of years where Sears didn't produce any tool catalogs.  So I ended up in bidding wars and bought every Sears Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter Big Book catalog from 1927 to present.  I painstakingly took apart all the Big Book catalogs so I could produce high quality scans on all the Craftsman product pages.  I also included about a dozen pages from each Big Book catalog with bits of fun stuff, nostalgia and Americana.  For instance, there are pages in there from the 1950's where you could buy (from Sears) a baby alligator, "harmless when small, won't outgrow it's pen for five years", donkey, mule, monkeys, exotic birds and so much more. 

Scanning the catalog pages was just the first step in preparing the catalog files.   Each cover was digitally restored to its former glory.  All the writers marks and printing artifacts, along with ragged edges were all removed.  As needed, the pages were rotated, cropped, and all the pages that had centerfolds spread across two pages were all aligned to look nice.  I had zero experience before taking on this project, and at times it could be very frustrating, and of course, very tedious.  I can say in the end I am very happy with it.  I think all the catalogs look visually beautiful from cover to cover. 
Plus I have included a number of pre Craftsman catalogs.  How about a multi-station woodworking tool setup for making wagon wheels.

John, do you agree with what I have written?   Or would you say it is mediocre in quality?  :)

David Maher  MrCraftsmanTools@aol.com

Hi David,

I'll take that offer.  $65 and free shipping?  I'm in.  Will you take a check?  Please tell me where to send the payment.  Thanks.

Jim C.

Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
It has panned out the way I wanted.  Indeed!  I'm happy with the end result.

I was referring to Sears failing to back the project rather than the quality of the product!

Kijiji King

Offline DavidMaher

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2014, 01:14:07 AM »
Thank you Papaws for letting me post here.  Send me your address for a free copy.

Hi Jim, and all the rest of you tool nuts like myself.

Like everything else, there is a catch with this $65 including postage price.  I ask that in return for the price reduction, that you give an honest review of the product in either two areas of this site and/or another tool website.  I'm not going to check up on it.  It is on the honor system.  By honest review, you can say it is fantastic, or a complete waste of money.  I spent around 2,500 hours on it, so I'm hoping everyone loves it as much as I do.  So far it has been all positive reviews.  :)  I'm just hoping to eventually break even on the endeavor.  (not including my time)  I made it for me and the rest of the tool fanatics. 

David Maher
1300 Saratoga Avenue #1104
Ventura, CA 93003

Cash, check, money order, paypal.   Paypal Firstclass4   They are shipped USPS priority 2 day.  Outside the US, I pay $6 of the postage and you pay the rest.

Offline DavidMaher

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:01 AM »
A sample catalog cover in the DVD.   The original cover from the catalog.  After I restored it with photoshop.