Author Topic: '79 Monkey Wards 80 gal air compressor questions  (Read 7364 times)

Offline pritch

'79 Monkey Wards 80 gal air compressor questions
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
I'm looking at this air compressor. It is a 1979 Montgomery Wards, two-stage, horizontal with an 80 gal tank. And a Craftsman motor. The seller says that Campbell/Hausfeld made these for both Sears and MW, and assumes that the motor was available thru Sears after the demise of Wards. Kinda made sense to me, I guess. It runs very well and pumps right up. Guy wants a grand for it, what would you guys think about that?

Offline keykeeper

Re: '79 Monkey Wards 80 gal air compressor questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »
I'd buy a new Ingersoll Rand for less money, before I would give a grand for a used one. Can you inspect the inside for rust? Doubt it, without tearing it down.

It would just be safer going new, I'd think, although that one looks like a beast!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
I'd buy a new Ingersoll Rand for less money, before I would give a grand for a used one. Can you inspect the inside for rust? Doubt it, without tearing it down.
It would just be safer going new, I'd think, although that one looks like a beast!!

I agree with Keykeeper.  I suppose there must be somebody with a compressor collection, but the value of this compressor is, to me, its function.  You can buy an Ingersoll-Rand brand new for under $800 last I looked.

Offline pritch

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »

I agree with Keykeeper.  I suppose there must be somebody with a compressor collection, but the value of this compressor is, to me, its function.  You can buy an Ingersoll-Rand brand new for under $800 last I looked.

I certainly agree with the concept of buying new for a little less, I have a deep-rooted suspicion of the quality and longevity of anything new. At any rate, while I decide, is there any information about this particular compressor? The only other  Monkey Ward "power tool" I have is their version of a Dremel that I got for my 13th birthday, 42 years ago. And it still works great!

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
A lot of the stationary compressors sit in a corner most of there life. So the paint is shiny as it wasn't moved around but it did run a lot. My main concern would be is the tank in good condition. Lots of moisture builds up in those tanks and was it always drained?

A friend of mine had the one below delivered a few months ago. He loves it for his home shop, it really depends on how much cfm you need thoe. 

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_158284_158284

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
Seller must be in Colorado and smoking a lot of dope.

That's $200 top money, and $150 of that is for the Sears motor which will probably need new capacitors soon.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »
Ditto what Phil said, far far too much for an unknown condition internally 3 decade old tank.
FWIW, I just scrapped a nice Ingersol pump because it wasn't rebuildable with available parts, and it wasn't as old as that thing.
Good luck finding last generation CH parts...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline pritch

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
I guess I'll have to pass it up. Oh well.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
I guess I'll have to pass it up. Oh well.

pritch,

No need to pass it up, just make a lower offer.  I think if you could pick it up for $200-$300, you'd be getting a bargain on an otherwise well made vintage compressor.  You should also assume you will have to put in a few bucks for parts and supplies (i.e. compressor oil, drive belt, air filter, and some small hardware pieces).
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
A comparable new IR compressor could not be bought for less than $1, 000.  There are a lot of oilless IR's out there for consumer use for much cheaper.  Back then there really weren't consumer compressors -industrial quality is what you got.  I've designed ptotection for compressors costing over $100k and the difference between consumer level, commercial level, industrial level, and refinery or energy level compressors is huge.

Chilly

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 10:03:01 AM »
I cannot read the specs. lb's at what pressure, etc.
It is definitely a heavy duty model, "re-badged" by monkey wards.
You get me the spec's, and I'll let you know more.
But remember this compressor is approaching 34+ years of age, and I do not know the lubrication history.
What I really want is pounds of air at what pressures.
Molon Labe