Author Topic: Charels Morrill #5 Saw Set  (Read 6480 times)

lzenglish

Charels Morrill #5 Saw Set
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Here is another flea find. It is a whopper at 15 inches long. Does anyone have one like it, and know the saw size application, and or patent number on it?

Thanks,

Wayne

lzenglish

Re: Charels Morrill #5 Saw Set
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »
I just found it to be for Timber and Board Saws, 6 to 14 Guage. Also found 2 of them for 7 dollars on ebay!
Looks like I got a turd in the rough!Lol Glad I did not pay more than a buck for it.

Wayne

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:38 AM »
[The Saw Set Collectors Resource Shows 2 versions of that sawset, yours seems to be the later version with a pin rest, the earlier version has the rest as part of the lower handle.

There is no specific patent listed, tho Morrill has quite a few patents, so probably one or two of them apply indirectly. The #5 is listed as the largest one made.

Looking at your photo the tooth size seems to be in the neighborhood of an inch, so it's likely for fairly large blades, but not gigantic blades, like a sawmill.  There is a limit to how thick a blade can be bent with a plier type set, above that you need a giant wrest, or a good old fashioned hammer...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:46 AM »
>found 2 of them for 7 dollars on ebay!

Sad, but true, they don't bring much money, even the rare uncommon ones aren't worth a whole lot , tho they do better than a $1 :(

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »
Thanks for the Saw Set Link Rusty. There is allot of good info. to be found on it.

Wayne