Author Topic: Thor SpeeDrill Press  (Read 4761 times)

lzenglish

Thor SpeeDrill Press
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
I picked this up today for 8 bucks. I can find "Thor" 1/2" drill motor info. by themselves, but not attached to this press. It does not look home made, and fits the drill like a glove. The drill runs great, but I need to rig up a base vise for it. Anyone have any info on this combo, and or pictures?
Also, I still do not know the vintage of this unit, but I'm thinking 1930's because of the DC option?

Thanks,

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:51:34 PM by lzenglish »

Offline rusty

Re: Thor SpeeDrill Press
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »

My '44 catalog (C&F) shows a Thor drill press adaptor, and lists 4 different models available. The one of the 4 pictured has a different base than yours, but the handle and weird spring are the same.

I'm guessing you have a #8, unless the thing weighs 50 pounds or more....
15 different Thor drills are listed as fitting it. (different brackets come for different drills, probably why it fits so nicely) There is a bigger model for 1/2 drill
And a whopping 68 pound model that has 14" clearence on the stand...

NB: DC was in use up to the late 50's, tho it was rare by then...I think a lot of the war surplus light plants went to the farmers, who would want DC option tools...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

lzenglish

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
Thanks for the info. Mine weighs about 40 pounds, I would guess. What is the name of this C&F Company? Does it appear mine is missing the bottom table, and if so, does it mount around the horizontal shaft, for adjusting it up and down? I would love to see a picture of one so I can fabricate it.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
C&F - Chandler & Farquhar, sorry

Here's as big a pic as I can get on the stand shown, the writeup, and also, for comparison, Skil's stand, and Black & Decker's stand, all from ~ 1942

NB: Now that I have blown the picture up big enough that I can see it without squinting at it, it's not a very good match : (
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:33:47 AM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the added info. Seems they all looked alike aback then! Although, I think this funny looking spring on mine is going to be the key to a visual finding of it. I found a site with hundreds of antique drill stands, presses, tables, or whatever the correct term is for these old dogs. If I find it I will post it.

Wayne

lzenglish

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
It seems that the Thor Power Tool Company aquired the Speedway manufacturing Company in 1953, so the plot thickens!  Again I tried to post a link for the benifit of the members, and it did not take? My search continues.

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:02:23 PM by lzenglish »

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:24:27 PM »
It seems that the Thor Power Tool Company aquired the Speedway manufacturing Company in 1953, so the plot thickens!  Again I tried to post a link for the benifit of the members, and it did not take? My search continues.

Wayne

Yep.  My Thor saber saw is also marked Speedway.  I hope you can find more than I managed -- I got a lot of racing sites, and nothing substantive on electrical tools.  I still want an owners manual for my saw.