Author Topic: TOOL SURVEY  (Read 3864 times)

Offline caliberEHS

TOOL SURVEY
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
This is for an engineering program I am doing in school and want to see what type of tools to put in an all in one tool. My team and I want to make a multi-tool that gives anyone who has a vehicle and/or home a tool that gives you what you use the most in one tool.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Re: TOOL SURVEY
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
Well... My Leatherman Wave has just about everything in it to fix a car but a socket wrench :P Especially with my bit assortment I got for it. Just wish it had replaceable blades on the wire cutters...

As far as automotive goes, like 90% of fasteners are 10,13,or 15mm, occasionally a 17mm. So some folding wrenches, or just a socket adapter would allow service to most more significant components. Combined with the cars Tire Iron, those few wrenches should allow you to service anything on the belt system. On newer, metric vehicles anyway.

Screwdrivers, flat, phillips #2,and T-20/25

Knife, pliers, wire cutters, a wire stripper is optional, since a knife can do it too... If you made the pliers locking, or 'robo-grip'  style you might get a bit more versatility out of them...

A simple volt meter would not be remise.

The biggest thing would be to make sure the tools lock into place. A blade that can fold and cut your fingers if you're prying on something is a very bad thing.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
Adjustable wrench, 1/4" hex drive holder for all types of 1/4" bits; Phillips, flat screwdriver, allen, Torx, etc..  awl, knife, file, hacksaw, pliers, wire cutters,  hammer..  Leatherman has something...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:01:05 PM »
Around the house,  my Swiss Army "Tinker" knife does a lot.   Have a Leatherman that locks, similar to a vise-grip pliers, has a great set of tools within.  Improving on either would be a challenge, to create a new tool that one could llift!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society