Author Topic: I really miss having a senior mentor  (Read 9894 times)

Offline Frank

I really miss having a senior mentor
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
My Dad passed away 12 years ago and his health was in steep decline for the 5 years or more prior to that.
My granddad's from either side passed away in 82 and 86 before I was a teen.
My FIL died in 08. We were close too.
I have one uncle left that I have always bonded with, though he is a little far away. I do call him on occasion between family get-to-gethers to talk old motors and stuff.
I really love the church I attend, but there are only a couple of senior men and we really don't seem to have much in common with them. I've never been into sports and none of them have any interest in old junk like I do.
I miss the stories, jokes, and general wisdom I used to get from so many fatherly/grandfatherly type figures in my past. I ache for my kids that do not have any granddad's in their lives. While I don't know the ages here, I have to assume the main demographic on sites such as this with interests in old tools and such are probably early-mid 50's and up and I appreciate learning here.

I don't guess I have a point other than I am glad there is some place to talk to those who have survived various life challenges, share great stories and tips.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: I really miss having a senior mentor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
We seniors enjoy having younger members to talk with and learn. We learn at the same time.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
Most old guys like us don't have their relatives close by, so w take trips to visit and use the cell phone and computer for "conversing".

Your in good company here as there are many "OF's" like myself and Papaw.
Molon Labe

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
I really like it here.

I am 51 going on 71.  My nervous system is messed up, so I can't do as much as I used to.  I don't follow sports either.  I like to do things.  Since I can't make as much anymore I like to hear everything here. 

Kind of expensive, though.  I started more seriously collecting mechanics tools since joining last year. Even with great deals its easy to drop thousands on tools.

Oh well, at least I don't drink.

Chilly

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »
Frank , you came to the right place. Plenty of us old guys here , ready to listen and " advise'
Teach your kids to use tools , they will be unique in the future.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »
Frank , you came to the right place. Plenty of us old guys here , ready to listen and " advise'
Teach your kids to use tools , they will be unique in the future.

Oh yes, they are learning. I can send my 8 yo daughter to fetch pliers, needlenose, dikes, flathead or philips screwdrivers. The boy is catching on too. If I am not careful, I come out to the garage and they have my tools scattered on the floor from building or doing something. I can't get too upset. I did the same with my Dad's tools. I need to collect for them their own stuff and lock up my box.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:19:04 AM »
This is one of those things that has crept up on me gradually, suddenly realizing I am the senior.   Down to one uncle.   Father, and grandfathers long since past, almost before I had the chance to ask them about the important stuff.   My grandfather was born in 1888, my father in 1911, so both saw the horse and mule replaced with machines.   But did have the chance to pass some of their earlier gained knowledge.   Am now going through my fathers machinist box, and sure wish I could ask him what a few odd things were for. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
It's been 34 years since I lost my grandfather, can't think of how often I have a question to ask him.  At this point, I am one of the three oldest surviving males on either side of my family.  My dad died in 2004, his older brother went the next year. 

It's kinda hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I have become one of the OF guys.  The elders in my life left very big shoes to fill.

Offline bear_man

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 02:41:23 AM »
I'm with Papaw.  We're now the role-models we used to look up to but who are now "gone."

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
I find Lots of Mentors here, Not only with old tools, but with life in general... Like any community, the elders share their knowledge... We all have something to share.. As a Baby Boomer I ain't no spring chicken, but still learning...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline MoreTools

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
I still keep in touch with my high school shop teacher from the 70's.  He's getting close to 80 now but he's still one of the most active guys I know.  He has all kinds of old tools that he's accumulated over the years.  I was visiting him a few weeks ago and he showed me an old Starett socket set he picked up from an old cowboy's estate.  Still in the original wood box - really interesting. 

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »
 Just had my 81 birthday last week and was happy to note this site updates your age automatically. At my age most of the older folk I want to get info from can,t always recall all of it. I.m thankful for my memory and hope you are too. Anyone have a favorite pickled egg recipe you would share. Pickled some last week and they are a little vinegary. I like tart taste and only have 2 left but would like to experiment a little.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:29 AM »
Just had my 81 birthday last week and was happy to note this site updates your age automatically. At my age most of the older folk I want to get info from can,t always recall all of it. I.m thankful for my memory and hope you are too. Anyone have a favorite pickled egg recipe you would share. Pickled some last week and they are a little vinegary. I like tart taste and only have 2 left but would like to experiment a little.

Happy birthday Jim.  Pickled eggs.....uugghh.... :embarrassed:

Chilly

Offline rusty

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
> Pickled eggs.....uugghh

I only pickle the middle (with relish ;P)

When my grandfather retired, he decided he wanted to have some chickens. So, he got a dozen chickens and built them a nice hen house where they could sit around all day and lay eggs.

I don't think he fully appreciated just how many eggs a dozen chickens can make..

He had so many eggs he couldn't figure out what to do with them all, not enough to sell, but far too many to give away. He tried pickeling them, salting them , soaking them in some kind of silica jell (makes them into increadable rubber super balls that bounce off the floor;P)

Can't say I ever liked the pickeled ones all that much, now the pickled cucumbers, that's another thing....

PS: Happy Birthday :)

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
Jim, the wife pickles her eggs with beets. If you let them sit long enough almost the whole whit turns the color of beets. She uses a lot of pepper when she does her beets. She cooks and cans the beets in a vinegar mixture and lets them set, then when she wants to use them she boils the eggs, peels them and they go into the beets in a container in the refrigerator. Making me hungry.