Author Topic: 31 Hart-Carter 10"  (Read 2602 times)

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
31 Hart-Carter 10"
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
I finally got around to derusting this wrench and it has a clear 31 as you can see, but the opposite side has unreadable writing, I'm guessing it says 10". Found 3 of these here http://wrenchingnews.com/2013-york-auction/catalog.html , choice box 32-6,7,&8.
Can I assume the writing that I can't read does say 10"?

RooK E

Offline Carl Wagner

Re: 31 Hart-Carter 10"
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:14:19 PM »
The 31 wrench is Deere according to Petes book.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:57 AM »
The 31 wrench came with Hart Carter threshing machine self feeders. These feeders were optional equipment that could be ordered with the threshing machines. Several threshing machine companies including John Deere offered the Hart Carter Self Feeders and the parts and 31 wrench are shown in their threshing machine parts lists.

Nichols & Shepard / Oliver threshing machines and combines listed the same wrench but marked with the part number F2-0005

The R43 tee handled socket wrench is another self feeder wrench. It showns up in  Advance-Rumely Threshing Machine Parts Lists for feeders that were originally made by the Ruth Self Feeder Co. of Halstead, Kansas (my hometown). Ruth was acquired by the Parsons Self Feeder Co. of Newton, Iowa around 1901 and in turn were eventually acquired by the Maytag Company. The Maytag Company continued to sell the Ruth Feeders for several years.

The mark you think might be a "10" is probably a casting identification mark.

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »
Lots of great info., thanks Bus.
RooK E