Author Topic: Finding a chuck for my 'new' Champion Blower & Forge No. 203  (Read 17179 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Re: Finding a chuck for my 'new' Champion Blower & Forge No. 203
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »
I recently just came across a Champion 203 Drill Press.  Mine is lacking the top wheel and appears as though it never had any gear covers.  Does anyone have any information on the diameter of the hand wheel that mounts to the vertical shaft and how to change the gear ratio?
Lookie thar! That's a fine looking tool! Still has the original drive pulley, too!

The poster contacted me via PM, and I explained the gear changing mechanism, but to any who may stumble on to this post in a future internet search, I will post here as well...

In the image below, there are two sets of horizontal gears on vertical shafts. The front shaft runs down to the quill, the rear is the adjustable one. If you grab the gear in your hand, you can lift it up so the smaller pulley engages the larger pulley on the front shaft, reducing its output RPMs. There is a small pawl-like lever on top of the right gear, which you can see in the picture below. This pawl pushes into a groove machined in the shaft, and keeps the gear elevated, and engaged in the low-speed position.

Offline BlackDog74

Re: Finding a chuck for my 'new' Champion Blower & Forge No. 203
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »
Hi guys.   I think I have come across a No 2003 here in Australia.  There was mention of a scanned catalog..If possible would someone be able to forward me a copy please.