Author Topic: Finding a chuck for my 'new' Champion Blower & Forge No. 203  (Read 17176 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Re: Finding a chuck for my 'new' Champion Blower & Forge No. 203
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
Depending how in love you are with the machine, and what it is worth to you, there are folks on the vintagemachinery site who occasionally make replacement parts....
Some of them use nearly as old machinery to do it :P)

It is probably far too stressed out at this point to be weldable, might be brazable and machinable, but I suspect it is all filled with cracks from years of being not so well treated...
Hmm... that's an interesting idea... I might look into that in the future. Right now, I don't quite have the scratch to afford that sort of fabrication... Might stumble on to another press too, if I keep my eyes open. I only paid $20.00 for mine XD Which, is significantly less than its weight in scrap iron... I've got to work out its more functional kinks before I'm sure it'd be worth that kind of money too.

Thanks for the input!

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »
You are correct, reference the table adjustment mechanism. There was a crank to raise and lower it. We have a similar, if not the same, post drill mounted in our blacksmith association shop. Amazingly, the crank is there, and is always found laying on the table.

Hopefully the broken teeth on the inside of the gear do not keep you from being able to use it.

These are magnificent machines to see working!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:28 AM »
Believe it or not, there was an electrically-powered version of your drill back when it was new, circa 1918!  It was the 203E version; I'm guessing that yours was an "A" or "B".  See the ad at http://www.ebay.com/itm/1918-AD-Champion-Bear-Bearing-Post-Drill-F202-F203-/150792422286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231bedc38e, lower left corner.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
You are correct, reference the table adjustment mechanism. There was a crank to raise and lower it. We have a similar, if not the same, post drill mounted in our blacksmith association shop. Amazingly, the crank is there, and is always found laying on the table.

Hopefully the broken teeth on the inside of the gear do not keep you from being able to use it.

These are magnificent machines to see working!!
It's definitely still usable, just a bear to adjust! That table must weight 80lbs, and it's not in the most convenient place to lift it by hand :P

I think, that there is enough of the teeth left for it to still be usable... Only about half of each tooth is broken off, seemingly because the axle bolt backs out, pulling the gear with it until only a small portion of the pinion is in contact with the rack. So, a bit of locktite on the threads, and MAYBE I'll be okay for now. Though it will certainly need to be addressed.

It'd be neat if you could take a picture or two of said press! :3

Believe it or not, there was an electrically-powered version of your drill back when it was new, circa 1918!  It was the 203E version; I'm guessing that yours was an "A" or "B".  See the ad at http://www.ebay.com/itm/1918-AD-Champion-Bear-Bearing-Post-Drill-F202-F203-/150792422286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231bedc38e, lower left corner.

Oh awesome! That's the first documentation I've seen about this particular press! And now I know what that one rod that sticks way the heck above the reat of my machine is for... It was the weighted fly wheel for the hand cranking. Looks just like the wheel on smaller presses, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a basic champion press to see if I can't pilfer the wheel!

I'm guessing mine is the base model 203 though. It has the shaft for the cone pulley, even though the cone is missing, and has been replaced with a fixed size pulley. It's definitely for dual opperation, and doesn't appear to have ever had a motor mounted on it for the E type.

I should almost buy those catalog pages...

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 02:06:34 AM »
Rather than buying just those catalog pages, here's a segment from the pages that Chillylulu provided a link for: Champion Blower & Forge Company Catalog 1909 reprint. For anyone interested in Champion Blower & Forge Company products, I recommend buying a reprint of The Champion Blower & Forge Company Catalog circa January 1909. Reprints of this catalog can be purchased from Centaur Forge http://www.centaurforge.com/ in their Metalworking Reference Materials Book selection: http://www.centaurforge.com/Metalworking-Reference-Materials/products/260/ , Burlington, Wisconsin, USA. The catalog shows all of the company's products that were made in 1909. Drills, forges, blowers, tire bending and shrinking equipment, taps and dies. This is an excellent source featuring some of the best tools of the era. The catalog includes a cutaway drawing of the internal working parts of the Champion 400 blower - the best hand cranked ball-bearing forge blower ever made! The Champion Blower & Forge catalog of 1909 is an excellent reference for identifying and inspecting these old tools and all of their parts. Champion made some of the very best tools and these tools are still used in many blacksmith, horseshoeing, and repair shops today.
I followed the second embedded link, and confirmed that it is still live.  The price of the reprint shows as $9.00, but I didn't dig deep enough to see shipping charges, taxes, etc., or whether it's currently available.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:54:58 PM by ron darner »
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline bear_man

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 02:51:17 AM »
Years and years ago (1974), back when I lived on a low-power photovoltaic system, I swore by a Champion post drill.  At the time, I owned three breast drills, one of which I canabilized the 3-jaw chuck and "bolt" from to swap into place instead of the "never-slip" chuck system the drill came with.  I'm in the process of restoring yet another Champion post drill but don't (yet) have a breast drill I feel like ruining just for the chuck.  Anyway, this's just an idea…

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
There's a company called Cattail, somewhere back East - look around on Old Woodworking Machines (owwm.org) for contact information that will cast parts.  Maybe you could figure out a way to build that back up as the pattern for a new one.  To my surprise, I found out recently that you don't have to apply shrink values to cast iron - it stays the size of the pattern.  At least that's my understanding.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »
Aaand, I got it :3

A 1 1/8" bolt + Angle Grinder + crank for back nut = crank for adjusting table... And the table moves fairly freely! :D I guess it's all a mater of leverage. I've got to oil it a bit more, there are a few sticky places... but I can easily adjust the table now, so this press is officially ready to go! I'll definitely look into getting a new piece made, but the one that's on there still seems to have some life left in it. Just got to make sure it doesn't work its way loose again...

I also got to give my press its first decent test. I had to dill a 5/8" hole in the head of the bolt so that it would fit into the recess around the screw. Put a 5/8" bit in there, and it didn't even think about slowing down :D Just bored right on through! So, I am officially thrilled with my purchase. It will probably do anything and everything I could ask of it. If I do hit the limits of the press, it will be the motor, not the press that will give out. And I can always find a bigger motor than a 1/2 horse!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:41:15 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 10:42:34 PM »
I finally got around to scanning my catalog....enjoy Twilight!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »
This Drill represents our best workmanship

Hehe, I knew she was a special drill! :D Very neat stuff! Wish I had all the original parts though. That wheel hanger sounds kind of interesting. I do think I found a new flywheel for it, but it's currently the price I paid for the whole press! ($20, ooooooh XP)

I've used it a few times now, and I am definitely pleased with it! It's everything I hoped to find in a drill press, and more! I just got a keyless chuck for it too... Because the chuck I was using didn't close all the way, and the key was damaged... Dang is that thing nice to use <3

Will drill holes up to 1 1/2 inch

Man I believe it! I bet it will do more than that...

Alicia

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
I have a champion blower and forge company press. It's belt driven. #203 pat no 70 28 aug 9, 1904. Anyone know where I can find catalogs with images? Or interested buyers??

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
I have a champion blower and forge company press. It's belt driven. #203 pat no 70 28 aug 9, 1904. Anyone know where I can find catalogs with images? Or interested buyers??

There are several catalogs with images posted in this thread :P

As for buyers... Maybe if you're in Northern Minnesota :P

Offline Alicia1129

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
Would sell parts. 

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
Would sell parts.

Yeah?

Is the sprocket for adjusting the table in good shape? I'd be interested in that, and the foot. (The bottom-most part of the press, down under the round pole the table slides up and down on)

Offline WWIProps

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
I recently just came across a Champion 203 Drill Press.  Mine is lacking the top wheel and appears as though it never had any gear covers.  Does anyone have any information on the diameter of the hand wheel that mounts to the vertical shaft and how to change the gear ratio?