Author Topic: Tape measures - some show and tell  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Tape measures - some show and tell - latest find
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
My latest find, from a commercial estate sale firm that charges sane prices.  This one's interesting for two reasons:

1.  At some point prior to the reorganization that led to a new name, in 1973, there was money in the budget for custom-ordered tapes.
2.  The tape is marked in 16ths on one edge and 100ths of a foot on the other, I assume for checking plans.

Offline international3414

• Contributor
Re: Tape measures - some show and tell
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
cloth tape

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
cloth tape
That's pretty nifty.  You can measure the fish you caught, to see if it'll fit in the fridge, and the cloth tape ensures it won't rust; just don't let anyone see the measurement, so that you can continue to lie about how large a fish you caught.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
 Bill that is strange, I googled  NWYS and it comes up Northwest youth service ??? 

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 10:31:41 PM »
Bill that is strange, I googled  NWYS and it comes up Northwest youth service ???
The picture's a touch out of focus.  If I'd done a better job on the picture, you'd see it reads, "California Div. of Hwys," as in "highways."  This was the name for the roads crew folks for many years, a department/division that moved around quite a bit as government got reorganized.

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 06:41:45 AM »
Bill, I'm pretty sure I have one just like your dad's but branded Firestone.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »
 thank's Bill.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
cloth tape
For Mama when she makes shirts and dresses for herself and the young' uns.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
I need to post some pictures of some of mine.  I just did a quick count, and I am up to 525.  Nowhere near my zig zag collection (around 800), but it is getting close.  I have a couple that are used to set dynamite charges that are interesting.  I also like the figural ones, like golfball and seashell shapes.  I have a bunch of new in the box refills, which I probably should not have counted separately.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »
I have a bunch of new in the box refills, which I probably should not have counted separately.

Your tape measures.  You're allowed to count them any way you want.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:09 AM »
...I am up to 525.  Nowhere near my zig zag collection (around 800)...
OK, I fold.  I don't even have that kind of shop/storage space, much less the time to gather that many!

Offline Yadda

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
I need to post some pictures of some of mine.  I just did a quick count, and I am up to 525.  Nowhere near my zig zag collection (around 800), but it is getting close.  I have a couple that are used to set dynamite charges that are interesting.  I also like the figural ones, like golfball and seashell shapes.  I have a bunch of new in the box refills, which I probably should not have counted separately.
For the record I would love to see some pictures of your collections.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »
For the record I would love to see some pictures of your collections.

Same here!
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
...I am up to 525.  Nowhere near my zig zag collection (around 800)...
OK, I fold.  I don't even have that kind of shop/storage space, much less the time to gather that many!

I have been collecting them for 26 years.  I also have bought large volumes of tools for my Ebay business, and I can cull out all the tape measures and zig zags that I do not have.  You would be surprised how little space it takes up.  I have some 12 drawer microfiche cabinets that most of the thinner and smaller ones can fit in.  I will take some photos of my cabinets when I upload some photos of my collection to this thread.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »
Bill,

If it makes you feel any better, I am jealous of your highway department Lufkin one.  Odd Lufkins are some of my favorites.  Have you seen the Donut ones?  They always go high on Ebay.  I finally bit the bullet and bought one a few years ago.

John