Author Topic: This Monday Tool Finds  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
This Monday Tool Finds
« on: July 09, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
In an antique store Monday:

I was looking at the adjustable alligators that morning on eBay - then I came across this. In an expensive booth. I  like to buy inexpensive, but this was a splurge justified because it was less than others with shipping.

I am a sucker for any yankee style drills / drivers. The top North Bros. Has patent dates of Nov 2.97- Jan 22.0 - price okay at $4.

The wood handled driver is very clean, no spring but I don't yet know if it was supposed to have one. I paid too much, but I do that knowingly sometimes. Other times I've waited for ever until I found an item in the right condition for the right price.

"Yankee" No. 35
North Bros. Mfg. Co. 
Pat. Apr 10.95-Nov.2.97
Sep.5.99-Oct.9.00
May.1.06-Nov.3.08
May.4.15

Regarding all those patent dates.... Wouldn't some of those earlier parents run out before the date of the last patent? How long are they good for? Was it for bragging rights, marketing purposes, or something else if they were no longer enforceable?

Offline jpaz

• Home page
Re: This Monday Tool Finds
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
.......... I am a sucker for any yankee style drills / drivers. The top North Bros. Has patent dates of Nov 2.97- Jan 22.0 - price okay at $4.

The wood handled driver is very clean, no spring but I don't yet know if it was supposed to have one. I paid too much, but I do that knowingly sometimes. Other times I've waited for ever until I found an item in the right condition for the right price.

"Yankee" No. 35
North Bros. Mfg. Co. 
Pat. Apr 10.95-Nov.2.97
Sep.5.99-Oct.9.00
May.1.06-Nov.3.08
May.4.15

Regarding all those patent dates.... Wouldn't some of those earlier parents run out before the date of the last patent? How long are they good for? Was it for bragging rights, marketing purposes, or something else if they were no longer enforceable?

Nice haul. I too am sucker for North Bros. "YANKEE" tools. Here is an abbreviated extract from my North Bros. Yankee Tools web page (contains illustrated detailed information relating to markings, finishes, packaging, links to reference resources, etc.)

Tool Markings

North Bros. always used that form of their Company name -- never North Brothers -- in marking their tools. Similarly, "YANKEE" was always rendered that way -- never without the quotes or in lower case lettering. The layout and arrangement of stampings varied from tool to tool.

* From the introduction of "Yankee" tools in 1895 until North Bros. Mfg. Co. was sold to Stanley in 1946:

"YANKEE" (Tool No.) NORTH BROS. MFG. CO. PHILA. PA. U.S.A. (followed by Patent dates)

* After acquisition of North Brothers by Stanley in 1946:

"YANKEE" ® (Tool No.) NORTH BROS. MFG. CO. DIV. OF STANLEY TOOLS PHILA. PA. U.S.A.

* After Stanley closed the North Bros. Philadelphia plant in 1959 and moved "YANKEE" Tool production to New Britain, Conn:

STANLEY ® YANKEE (Tool No.) MADE IN U.S.A.

Patents

Three very imaginative and talented inventors designed innumerable (mostly ratchet) hand tool mechanisms and assigned their patents to North Bros:

Zachry E. Furbish - active from 1831 until 1908
    George O. Leopold - active from 1887 until 1940
    Thomas J. Fegley - active from 1906 until 1940

Furbish worked mostly alone, but Leopold and Fegley frequently collaborated in producing their designs.

The Directory of American Tool And Machinery Patents Search Facility is an outstanding tool for researching patents by Patentee, Assignee, Manufacturing Company ..... and so on.

Patents  (which are of minimal use in dating tools) expired after twenty years from the date of issuance. After that the design was consigned to the Public Domain.

James
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:07:13 PM by jpaz »

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
what # is the $4 Yankee?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »
what # is the $4 Yankee?
It looks like it is a #40, the writing was so worn on the top line I didn't notice it until you sent me back.

Chilly

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »
Per Worthpoint;
NO. 40 - PUSH DRILL
 YANKEE / NORTH BROS. MFG. CO.
EARLY / PRE-1900
RARE!!! RARE!!! RARE!!!
 The No. 40 push drill is the rarest of the YANKEE push drills. It is also the earliest model of push drill made by North. Bros. (1898)
 The No. 40 is different from all the other North Bros./YANKEE push drills (Nos. 41, 42, 43, 44) in that the drill bit does not reciprocate in alternating directions as the handle is pumped up & down ---- it always turns clockwise.
This example is from some of the earliest production of the No. 40 ---- probably 1898, based on the following observations.
 It has only one patent date (1897) It is marked "YANKEE," but has no model number --- t is no "No. 40" City name in the marking is spelled out in full: "PHILADELPHIA" Maker name includes "MFR'S" (very unusual) It has the early style chuck which only takes only ¼ turn to the right to release the bit, rather than about 8 turns to the left to release the bit as on later models Markings: "YANKEE / NORTH BROS. MFG. CO. MFRS. / PHILA., PA. U.S.A. / PAT. NOV. 2 - 97 / OTHERS PENDING)
 Size: OAL = 9.5" (extended)
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »
Thanks Old tool guy, fun information, for sure!

Chilly