Author Topic: Boxwood folding rules  (Read 31850 times)

Offline jpaz

• Home page
Boxwood folding rules
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »

Rules made of boxwood were the primary measuring tools used by workers in my trade for bench work and general use prior to the 1960s - it seemed every craftsman and apprentice carried a folding boxwood rule in his apron or overall pocket. Some older craftsmen used the ivory rules that were offered by most of these makers, but their usage was not extensive due to their expense and the (maybe undeserved) perception that they shrank and splintered with use.

In general, folding boxwood rules manufactured in England read from left to right while those manufactured in the USA read from right to left. Plain rules such as bench rules, desk top rulers, pattern maker's shrinkage rules, etc. manufactured in the USA read from left to right. Stanley and Lufkin would supply their folding boxwood rules to US customers reading left to right on special order.

This is not intended to be a survey of all boxwood rules - rather the ones I depict and describe here represent those that I have owned or used during my lifetime. I mostly used boxwood rules manufactured by Rabone, Preston & Stanley during my apprenticeship in northern England.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Rabone & Sons - Birmingham, England

The boxwood rules produced by John Rabone & Sons (est. 1784) were renowned for their excellent design and quality of manufacture.

No. 1167 Rabone 3ft four-fold boxwood "Blindman's rule".

"Blindman's rule" was a term used to describe those with extra large and black numbers - Stanley and Lufkin actually labeled them that way in their catalogs while Chapin-Stephens marked and cataloged them as "Nearsite rules". They were particularly well liked by older workers with diminished eyesight especially in poorly lighted work areas. I liked them anyway for general use.

In 1963 John Rabone & Sons merged with James Chesterman Co. Ltd. - renowned manufacturer of high quality steel rules - to form The Rabone Chesterman Co. This company continued to manufacture measuring (and other) tools at the Chesterman Sheffield Bow Works until they were bought out by Stanley in 1984.

No. 1162 Rabone Chesterman 3ft four-fold compass hinge boxwood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edward Preston & Sons - Birmingham, England

This prestigious English firm - renowned for their wide range of high quality hand tools - manufactured fine boxwood rules from the date of their founding in 1825 until their demise in 1933. Their folding boxwood rules have always been highly regarded by woodworking craftsmen.

No. 3111 Preston 2ft four-fold boxwood rule

Marked:
No. 3111 ..... E. PRESTON & SONS B'HAM. ENG.
TRADEMARK (EP in cartouche) ..... WARRANd BOXWOOD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belcher Brothers & Co. - New York City, USA

The oldest manufacturer of boxwood rules in the United States, this company was founded originally in 1821 as Thomas Belcher Co. - Belcher Brothers & Co. was in business from 1853 until 1885.

Belcher 24" plain bench rule

Plain boxwood rules - bench rules, desk top rulers, pattern maker's shrinkage rules, etc. manufactured in the USA read from left to right.

Elegant old English numbering was used on early Belcher rules

Marked: BELCHER BROs. Co. N.Y.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H. Chapin Co. & Chapin-Stephens Co. - Pine Meadow, Conn. USA

The H. Chapin Co. (est. 1826) was a great innovator in the production of boxwood rules and several of their employees (such as Lorenzo Stephens with his son, Delos H. and Henry Seymour) went on to form their own manufacturing companies. The H. Chapin Co. subsequently merged with the D. H. Stephens Co. in 1901 to form the Chapin-Stephens Co. which produced fine quality boxwood rules (and other tools) before going out of business in 1929.

Chapin 2ft four-fold fully brass bound boxwood rule (No. 15)

Marked: NO 15 ..... H. CHAPIN ..... U.S. STANDARD

Chapin-Stephens 2ft four-fold fully brass bound boxwood rule (No. 84)

Marked: NO. 84 ..... THE C-S CO ..... PINE MEADOW ..... CONN U.S.A.

Note: These rules were also marked: THE CHAPIN-STEPHENS CO. instead of C-S CO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stanley Rule & Level Co./Stanley Tools - New Britain, Conn. USA

Stanley Rule & Level Co. (est. 1858) - subsequently Stanley Tools - maintained an excellent reputation for producing fine quality rules of all types that were universally popular with all kinds of woodworkers. Stanley bought out and absorbed numerous smaller companies especially during the early 1900s. Stanley would supply their folding boxwood rules to US customers reading left to right in the English tradition on special order.

Stanley's least expensive 2ft four-fold boxwood rule (No. 68)
popular in school woodworking shops and with Apprentices.
Marked: NO.68 ..... STANLEY .....

Stanley's very popular 2ft four-fold boxwood rule (No. 62)
fully brass bound (discontinued after WWII)
Marked: STANLEY ..... NO. 62 and on reverse side .........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lufkin Rule Co. - Saginaw, Mich. USA

The Lufkin Rule Co. (est. 1869) produced fine quality boxwood rules which have always been popular and highly regarded. At one time they were the largest manufacturer of rules in the United States. Lufkin would supply their folding boxwood rules to US customers reading left to right in the English tradition on special order.

Note: Lufkin entered into an agreement with John Rabone & Sons whereby the latter company would manufacture folding boxwood rules to Lufkin's specification for the British market and mark them "Lufkin Made in England". These rules read from left to right in the English tradition.

Lufkin 2 ft four-fold boxwood rule
Marked: No. 651 ..... LUFKIN ..... MADE IN ENGLAND ..... BOXWOOD

Lufkin 12 inch two-fold boxwood rule with caliper slide
Marked: LUFKIN ..... No. 372 (36½) ..... WARRANTED ..... BOXWOOD

Lufkin 6 inch two-fold boxwood rule with caliper slide marked: LUFKIN

Marked on reverse side: NO. 171 ..... MADE IN U.S.A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upson Nut Co. - Unionville, Conn. USA

Founded circa. 1854 in New York, this company manufactured a wide range of boxwood rules until they went out of business in 1911.

Upson 2ft four-fold boxwood rule (No. 61)

Marked: No.61 ..... UPSON NUT CO.

Several US manufacturers adopted Stanley's numbering system for their own boxwood rules - including Upson.

James

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: Boxwood folding rules
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »
Very nice report.  I like all your articles.

4 fold rule? Is that  1 center hinge around z-axis, and 2 hinges around x-axis?

Chilly

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
GREAT post!!

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »
Very nice report.  I like all your articles ...........
Thank you Chilly.

.......... 4 fold rule? Is that  1 center hinge around z-axis, and 2 hinges around x-axis? ..........
Here is a pic:

James
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:40:33 PM by jpaz »

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
Thank you Jim C.

James

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
Thank you for posting, very educational & interesting...  Now I got to find all my rulers...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Thank you for posting, very educational & interesting...  Now I got to find all my rulers...
Thanks oldtools - please post some pics.

James

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
My thanks too for this post.  The company dates are really appreciated (some folks write like these rules were invented by Stanley).   Like Old Tools, I'm gonna have to check my own stash of folding rules.  There are a couple I really like, especially for the full brass binding. 

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »
My thanks too for this post.  The company dates are really appreciated (some folks write like these rules were invented by Stanley).   Like Old Tools, I'm gonna have to check my own stash of folding rules.  There are a couple I really like, especially for the full brass binding.
Thank you Branson.

Just for general information:

The strength (and cost) of folding boxwood rules was directly related to the type of hinges (especially the main folding hinge) employed:

Top to bottom:
Round hinge: weakest and least expensive
Square hinge: stronger and more expensive
Arch hinge: strongest and most expensive
The middle rule has fully brass bound edges - another feature that added to the cost of the rule.

James

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
Your rules look like you just walked out the hardware store with new stock.
Thanks for your efforts , very nice.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline DobroDan

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
Ditto Lostmind!

My small Stanley looks like he just returned from a hard day in a dirty shop!

Offline oldtools

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:22 AM »
Ditto Lostmind!

My small Stanley looks like he just returned from a hard day in a dirty shop!

Nice combination rule & caliper...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
Oooh, somehow I missed this thread earlier. Excellent information James, thank you for posting this.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Tim

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:13:42 AM »
I have a 2' 4 boxwood reads left to right made in USA ("No.70E is in the 8" lines, Stanley in 9" ,  and also has No.7 in the 10") to read the maker and no.s right side up the 7' thru 11" is on bottom reading L to R with the brass hinge on the right end.  I can't find one like it anywhere, can you give me some light on this mystery?

Offline oldtools

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »
Thanks oldtools - please post some pics.

James

Only found one, (the other 2 with brass borders somehow walked away?)
"Boxwood, Made in USA" can't see any other markings.. 24" read right to left both sides..
Aloha!  the OldTool guy