Author Topic: Going to look at a big red antique band saw...  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Going to look at a big red antique band saw...
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »
Well, I'm going to go take a peek at an antique bandsaw I happened to stumble onto. I won't actually be able to go for about two weeks, as the owners are going out of town... but I'd be curious to hear some input. Unfortunately, I don't have any information besides a picture of it, so... might be a frivolous topic XP Still, I'm antsy, and any way to make progress is better than sitting and waiting!

I don't know too much about bandsaws, let alone antiques like this behemoth. What sort of things should I be looking for?

This one seems to be missing its table... but, I suspect that wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to fabricate a replacement for it? I can weld, and am a blacksmith, so I'm accustomed to working with steel... Also looks like, if I value my life, I'd have to make a cage for around the belt, lest it break and do to me what it does to steel :P

Can anyone identify, and tell me a bit about it based solely on this picture?

Thanks!

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Going to look at a big red antique band saw...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:22 PM »
I don't know anything about it other than it's absolutely gorgeous. Congrats!
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »
The under wheel tension adjustor says Silver Manufacturing. The spoke pattern is unusual tho..
Silver and Crescent were closely related, and seem to have shared iron from time to time.
So it could also be a Crescent model..

The arch feet would likely put it before 1910...making assumptions...

Both companies had cast in marks or brass tags, so if you go look at it, look for casting marks and tags:)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:16:56 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »
I think... I might have it identified. Over at Old Woodworking Machines, I was directed to Frank &  co.  This looks spot on, other than perhaps a slight difference in wheel spoke dimensions...