Author Topic: My little collection of metal housinged power tools!  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

My little collection of metal housinged power tools!
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
None of them have been cleaned up really, but I had all my old power tools out while I was cleaning their cabinet of some junk, and figured I'd snap a picture to share!

Everything in this collection, except the two Thor drills, and the REALLY old Black and Decker I inherited from my Grandfather. The Thors, and the B&D 1A I picked up at a few rummage sales/auctions. Probably paid too much for the big green one, but MAN does that thing drill steel nice n.n God help me if it ever gets stuck in something big though, that drill will kill me, with enough spare torque to make my ancestors dizzy!

All of them work, with the exception of the B&D 7 1/4" circular saw in the top left, which turned on for 2 seconds before turning off, never to be heard from again o.o I've used the 7 1/4" Speedway, and the 4 1/4" Skil extensively. The big Speedway drill is so gosh darn pretty, I plan to clean it up and hang it on a wall or something :P No idea what the goofy wire wheel on the little junky B&D drill is, but it came that way, and I've never had a need for it, so it's stayed on there :P

It's not really a collection I intended to make... They just kind of fell to me...

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:10:20 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline bear_man

Re: My little collection of metal housinged power tools!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:40:29 AM »
By golly, I can admire everything except the "sidewinder" saws.  Not a worm-drive in the bunch kinda surprised me. 
     Mmm…, I still only own a B&D sabre-saw/scroll-saw like yours, even after being loaned a Bosch for a particular project that I fell in love with — it never hopped around, even though I never rode on it.  [Note to self…] 
     As for the drills…, Nice!  You made me wonder what happened to my old Speedway.  I had an employee who used mine when we were erecting a steel building and practically broke his ankle when a 1/2" bit jammed.  He learned right fast never to "hog" a hole and to keep his feet and lower legs well apart.  Poor guy limped for a week or more.
     My last word: it's not everyone these days who appreciates the lack of pastic on a tool.   (O:

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
That drill motor on the lower right looks good and terrifying.  I'd hate to have a bit stick in the work while operating that one.

The wire wheel thing on the B&D drill motor was sold for paint removal, the idea being that the little wires would whirl about, strike the paint on your grandmother's old kitchen table or some other prized family heirloom, and just knock it right off while leaving the wood untouched.  They faded away in the market because the "leaving the wood untouched" part was a tad optimistic.  I've owned one, but no longer; one use was enough to convince me that having wood, whether furniture or siding, that looked like it had been attacked by an army of tiny badgers was just not my style.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
Hehe, yeah, the more metal in my tools, or, anything for that matter, the better! I won't even touch one of the new cordless drills that have plastic chucks. Plastic bodies I'll live with, but the chuck absolutely must be all steel. I'm sure the plastic ones are just as good, but... I dunno :P I gotta say, if these old drills had a reverse switch on them, I'd sell all my modern drills in a heartbeat.

I was really  scared to even use that big Thor when I first got it, for fear of the bodily harm it could inflict on me... And, it doesn't have a trigger that turns off when you let go either. So, if it slips from my hands, it's gonna be a mad-dash to unplug it before it cripples me. Its cord is something like 20 feet long too X_X

My big green Thor is a force of nature! Not only is the motor honking huge to begin with, if you look at the front of the drill, you can see there are 2 axles in the case. Meaning starting with massive motor, it's then gear reduced THREE times to final drive. I bet I could hook this drill up to the transmission in my car and drive it. (until I ran out of extension cord that is :P) And it's got a 5/8" chuck. So I could put as big a bit as I want in there, if I REALLY wanted to kill myself.

Hahaha, fantastic :P I figured it was for some sort of finish removing... but it's supposed to strip paint off of wood... I guess, maybe if you had a slow enough turning drill it wouldn't hurt the wood... but, it wouldn't hurt the paint either at that point, I suspect :P

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »
The paint removal wire wheels did work, but it took a pretty delicate touch to find the right way to use them, and most people probably damaged something before they learned how to avoid the army-of-woodpeckers effect.  You'd have needed a comparable item to practice upon, at the very least.  They also didn't work well in inside corners or confined areas, so you always needed another method to deal with those places.  I have several of these, including an Eazy-Stripper (Duarte, California) and a Rolling Stripper (Taiwan), each brand new in original box, plus a Tele-Brands (tm) from China, and some of unknown origin.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:48:40 AM »
The paint removal wire wheels did work, but it took a pretty delicate touch to find the right way to use them, and most people probably damaged something before they learned how to avoid the army-of-woodpeckers effect.  You'd have needed a comparable item to practice upon, at the very least.  They also didn't work well in inside corners or confined areas, so you always needed another method to deal with those places.  I have several of these, including an Eazy-Stripper (Duarte, California) and a Rolling Stripper (Taiwan), each brand new in original box, plus a Tele-Brands (tm) from China, and some of unknown origin.

That wire wheel works great on rust, like a needle gun! beats the rust flakes right off without grinding the metal..,
I wouldn't use it on wood unless you want to texture it...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:32 AM »
Good point: rust removal was a better use than paint stripping, in general.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »
The green one probably has more power then today's small drill presses.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »

Hehe, before I bought my giant antique drill press, I was trying to come up with a way to mount that sucker in such a way I might use it as a drill press for just that reason :P

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »

Hehe, before I bought my giant antique drill press, I was trying to come up with a way to mount that sucker in such a way I might use it as a drill press for just that reason :P
You can occasionally find drill press accessories for drill motors; they're often specific to the model, or at least the manufacturer, but some are pretty flexible about what motors they'll take.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »

Craftsman presses come up all the time. I've seen several in the last week.  They would be easy to operate.

The best one was a milwaukee pipe press.  It had a pipe chain clamp on the bottom and mounted a magnum drill.  I built a stand with a 2"pipe out the back and had a supremo drill rig. They had a switch in the end of the arm, really safe and handy.

Chilly