Author Topic: Good score for me!  (Read 5590 times)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Good score for me!
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Well it better be, I paid 10 dollars for it!!

Its early Makita, made in Canada.
3/8" drill and 1000 rpm. Torque monster.
This is early. This made Makita's bones, this model.
  I remember when they were new.
  They were red hot property, but they cost a fortune!  I always wanted one.

It runs like a top, has the full 10 feet of genuine rubber covered cord (no cuts even)
 and the chuck key too.
   I am happy as a clam over this.
      yours Scott

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
Re: Good score for me!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
Sweet score. Those Makitas were (and remain) quality tools...

Kijiji King

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
I'm still partial to the milwaukee hole shooters.  Did you ever get the switch and twist lok cord for the milwaukee you got, Scott?

Chilly

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
I'm still partial to the milwaukee hole shooters.  Did you ever get the switch and twist lok cord for the milwaukee you got, Scott?

Chilly

You bet! I couldn't afford a new twist lock cord,
 so I performed "open plug" surgery on the old one.   I carved the cast vinyl/imitation rubber twist lock material like it was wood, until I exposed the broken wires inside.
 Then I made the repair, made a little mold,  and cast rtv silicone for the replacement plug material.
Then covered the whole Maryann with adhesive lined, thick, heat shrink tubing.

It'll hold.

The replacement switch needed to be fitted to the drill frame, and wired weirdly (compared to the original wiring scheme),.........
  but once I got it all together it runs just like a top!

I made a wooden side handle for it. Well actually a fake wooden side handle. Oh its a wood handle alright,  but it has a nearly full length 3/8" bolt inside. :) 

But this is the lummox 1/2" super drill.
  You can't stop the motor. It runs like a freight train.  But the drill weighs as much as a pretty girl in a bathing suit.  Lovely to look at, useful as the dickens, but you don't want to stand around holding it up all day.......... If you know what I mean.   

I wanted a sweet little 3/8" torque monster to go with.
  The Milwaukee 3/8's of the same period, are great drills too.  But they hardly --ever-- get away cheap. One just sold on ebay for most of $100, today. 
The good vintage Milwaukees have a lot of fans now.

Never try to collect what everybody else already wants!     

The early Makitas are every bit as useful, almost as pretty, and you don't have to bring a Tommy gun with you, when you try to get away with one.
    yours Scott

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »
Great Scott, and I know how badly you were needing another drill!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
Could we see a picture of the bolt-hid-in-wood handle?
Did you drill through or glue halves together or ????

Chilly

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:55:46 AM »
   Well its true, I did need another drill.
  This one.  haahhahahah
 Sure I have a lot of other drills. Including a Makita almost this same size physically.
But that one, which is supposed to be 4 amps, is a good drill, and I have used it to polish besides drilling and driving screws. While its a good drill,  it's 4 amps are not in the same league with the old 3 1/2 amp vintage drill with more gears, sorry.
   The 3.5 and longer gears of the new/old drills are better.  Bigger wire, bigger brushes, more gears, et al.
  Its not a speed demon, but its authority in your hand.

I'll be selling the newer drill shortly.  I do have too many drills.
 I kept wanting one like this and dragging home all these others instead. 
  Anybody need a Black and Decker? How about Sears Roebuck? I am going to have a few decent drills to pass along now. They are all good usable drills,
 just not quite like this one.
     :grin:

And Chili
Its just a bed bolt. You know, screw threads one end, lag bolt the other end? This one is long enough to go through about 85/90% of the handle.
  The handle was drilled from one end most of the way though. I'm sure I did it on a lathe setup of some kind, but honestly, at the moment I cannot remember.
   I'm having slight memory problems here and there.  Its not terrible, but its there.
  Hope its only temporary.  I expect it to be.
        yours Scott

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 06:41:49 AM »
I've used those bed bolts at work a lot, back in the day.  We call them coach screw rods. For fire sprinklers, our smallest hanger rod size is 3/8".  We uesd to have them in a lot of different lengths, 2-1/2" - 12", uf I remember correctly.

About 15 years ago someone invented "sammy super screws." They are a screw thread (maybe 3/16"?) with a 3/8" coupling attached to the end.  Pretty much stopped using lag screws when those came out. They sell special drivers for the various sammy's.  You may gave seen them around.  Pics:

Regarding memory,  I have a good friend that I talk to about aging, kids, memory, etc. Once, when we were talking about how we can't seem to remember as much as we used to, he told me that it was normal. He said it was a problem when we were looking at a cup and we couldn't remember what it is for.

Scott, as much as life has thrown at you lately I would be surprised if you weren't somewhat distracted for awhile.  That part is temporary.  The pain never goes away completely, at least not while we live, but it does lessen. Your detailed explanations have helped and entertained me. Memory and wit return when our mind has the time.

God bless you and yours.

Chilly

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »
Nice drill.  The older Makita stuff is excellent.  The local, now-closed, tool repair place told a friend of mine once that, if he wanted a cordless drill, he should get one of the 9.6V "stick battery" Makita drills, because they never saw them come in for repair, even though there were a billion of them out there.

I'm told that, as we age, memory is the second thing to go, but I'll be damned if I can remember what the first thing is.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
Nice drill.  The older Makita stuff is excellent.  The local, now-closed, tool repair place told a friend of mine once that, if he wanted a cordless drill, he should get one of the 9.6V "stick battery" Makita drills, because they never saw them come in for repair, even though there were a billion of them out there.

I'm told that, as we age, memory is the second thing to go, but I'll be damned if I can remember what the first thing is.

The kids are probably reminding us what it is.  If only we could hear them.....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:42:18 PM by Chillylulu »

Offline rusty

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
I still have the 12v 'stick' battery Makita I bought decades ago...
Same in your face green color, still works like a champ, even the quick chuck.
And you can even still get batteries for it.

I know why they don't make them any more tho.
How can you make any money selling something that never needs to be replaced?
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
I have the 9.6V "stick battery" Makita drill I bought new in 1986, and it still works fine.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »
That's the one.
If it runs solid when you get it, (plug it in and run it both directions to make sure)
  you will be happy you have this drill.

Makita really did a number in these first years out.
  They wanted to establish a good name for quality gear. And they quickly did.
  And it was this drill that started it all.

They are just little monsters.
      your Scott