Author Topic: Lump's Antique Alemite Grease fitting cabinet  (Read 11021 times)

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
Lump's Antique Alemite Grease fitting cabinet
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Got a message not long ago that a member here was trying to reconnect with me. Found out it was someone I had corresponded with in the past, about my collection of antique car "kit" tools, and other really old car tool and equipment stuff. So now we are reconnected. He asked me about my very old Alemite Grease Fitting Cabinet, and the manual inside. Then it occurred to me that, since I had to renew my membership here, and I need to make some postings to restore my status as a regular member anyway, maybe some of you might like to see a few pix of this interesting old cabinet and its contents. I hope you will find it interesting!

My parents were antique car enthusiasts, for a long time. Indeed, I have dash plaques from antique car events which I attended as early as 1958, when I was a little kid. Thus, my dad started accumulating antique car and garage-related items a LONG time ago, including this beautiful lithographed tin-over-wood cabinet.

This cabinet was a countertop unit, intended for display in autoparts and hardware stores, and repair garages. The lid is hinged to stand up straight, with nice graphics on it. The assortment of Alemite fittings were stored under this lid.

Tools, manual, and accessories stored in drawer below.

More stuff in drawer.

Pages inside the manual.

Current You Suck! Award winner

Offline Fins/413

Re: Lump's Antique Alemite Grease fitting cabinet
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
Lump that is outstanding thanks for posting. I bet there aren't many left in that nice shape.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
That IS outstanding! We certainly are fortunate that you found your way back to Tool Talk!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Lump ,there was a fellow quite a while back that posted a VERY nice picture of himself as a little boy with his mom and dad next to an old car, it was in the snow, was that your picture?
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
Lump ,there was a fellow quite a while back that posted a VERY nice picture of himself as a little boy with his mom and dad next to an old car, it was in the snow, was that your picture?
[/i]
1930, hmmm....could be, I suppose. This is our 1923 Hupmobile touring car. Taken about 1966 or 67. We went out for a drive in our Hupmobile touring car (no heater of course, but we were wearing our vintage fur coats....even the dog!) Stopped at the home of some friends, who thought we were all crazy, and asked us to pose for photo. The streaks in the photo are snow, and you can see some snow built up already on the rear fender.

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:58:18 AM »
Great photo just like the days taking a ride in a motorcar was an adventure.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »
That is a ausome set!

Thanks for sharing. Deffintily a intresting one.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
Yep thats the photo, nice, everybody looks so happy and it would make a great christmas card.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:47 PM »
Ha! Interesting that you would say that, 1930. That photo WAS our Christmas card for 1966! For those who are wondering, I'm the dorky teenager in the white pants, in this pic.

Offline stanley62

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
Funny you say that!  I was wondering if you were REALLY a grey beard, or if you were one of the youngsters in the picture. 

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

lzenglish

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
Very Nice Pictures Indeed! The ALEMITE kit looks to be in pristine condition!

Wayne

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Funny you say that!  I was wondering if you were REALLY a grey beard, or if you were one of the youngsters in the picture. 

Jim
[/i]
"Greybeard?" Me? You betcha! I'm 57.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
What a cool cabinet!

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
Hi Lump,
I'm jealous! Your alemite case is in better shape than mine.  Mine had nothing in it when I got it, so auctions, garage sales and Ebay filled it with lock on fittings and a big brass lock on grease gun. A friend gave me the little one. when  I took the photo in my cabinet, my MACK wrenches were in the background. Thought you might enjoy seeing them. I'll probably need therapy to learn to live with the lesser of the two alemite cases, but I'll soldier on somehow  ;{

Thanks for putting up the photos.

John
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Lump

• New Old Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
Nice cabinet, John. I'm not sure if mine is really much better than yours or not. Is that other Alemite thing a sign? Looks pretty cool. I've been wondering if I should repost my photos of some of my original automaker's kit tools. I had a post about them long ago on Tool Talk, but it's gone now. Yet I still have the pix. But the problem is that I have bought quite a few tools since then, and don't know if I can find the time to update them right now. I've got a "lot of balls in the air" right now!