Author Topic: Bonney Brake Pliers  (Read 3571 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Bonney Brake Pliers
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
Some guys would rather just cuss dumb stupid drum brakes than do it right.

Wouldn't it be nice if that were only true of drum brakes.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
Being the old mechanic I have a half dozen brake spring tools in my box.   I notice one of the young guys doing drum brakes and just wait.   After the cussing goes on for a few I walk over with the tools in my pocket, watch. then hand them the right one, for the stubborn spring they're trying unsuccessfully to hook up.  Sometimes even show them how its easier and faster with the right tool.  Fewer bloody knuckles, less looking around on the floor.  Amazing number of small cars and trucks still use drum brakes on the rear.  Some, one simply cannot do without the right tools.   Some guys would rather just cuss dumb stupid drum brakes than do it right.

Wish somebody was close enough to come over and show me how to do brakes right. Last time I pulled drums off was in high school. YIKES!
Ratchet Guru

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
Although I have to say...traditional brake spring pliers sure work a lot better on riveted brake shoes.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
I've been looking for a nice pair of steeldraulic pliers for s few months. Find them, but everyone wants too much so far.

Chilly

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 05:40:54 PM »
I've been looking for a nice pair of steeldraulic pliers for s few months. Find them, but everyone wants too much so far.

Chilly

Wow! never seen steeldraulic pliers before, looked it up...  Cool Tool...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Ford V8 cars of the late 30s before finally joining the rest of the manufacturers with hydraulic brakes in 1939, used a steel cable in a sheath for their brakes and called them steeldraulics, fine if the car was driven often, but if they sat a bit, or got ice down the cable you had free free-wheeling!  So they had a special pliers for these?   I suppose right up there with the rarity of the rocky mountain oyster shucker?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
These are interesting pliers not withstanding the odd shape.  They were made for adjusting the Steedraulic brakes on cars built in the 20's and'30's.  If you Google Steeldraulic brakes you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about them. 

Mikeswrenches posted about them in 2012- http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=6270.0
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bear_man

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:29 AM »
  I suppose right up there with the rarity of the rocky mountain oyster shucker?

John K., Only "rocky mountain oyster shucker" I'm aware of is a truly sharp pocket knife — or are you referring to the current fad of carrying a pocket knife that Ain't sharp?

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
I must admit I have no idea how to use brake drum pliers, however I have a few pairs.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »

.................Only "rocky mountain oyster shucker" I'm aware of is a truly sharp pocket knife .................

Surgical scalpel works real nice!  Just not on a full moon.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 12:26:12 AM »

John K., Only "rocky mountain oyster shucker" I'm aware of is a truly sharp pocket knife — or are you referring to the current fad of carrying a pocket knife that Ain't sharp?
A real Bear-Man could use his teeth. At least one or  two times he would have teeth. (Sorry, got my bovines mixed up with sheep once again.

I stay away from those oysters, but it used to be when I took people out from the Northeast they always wanted rocky mountain oysters. I think it has finally changed. The last time I took a viditor out from new york he wanted rattlesnake for an appetizer.

I try to stick to your basic barnyard animals myself, and not even all of them!!!