Author Topic: Ellis Adjustable Wrench Variations  (Read 3412 times)

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Ellis Adjustable Wrench Variations
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:11:33 PM »
In my quest to fill in my Ellis style adjustable wrench collection I have discovered that there are possibly at least 6 different variations that Ellis manufactured over the years. 2 patents are attributed to the wrench, November 3, 1903 patent not located and May 17, 1904, patent 759,869 that depicts a leaf style spring and other differences in the wrench design. The wrenches are marked with the November 3, 1903 date. The different styles are non-swivel head, swivel head, flat or nut jaws, pipe jaws and 2 different swivel latch designs, neither match the patent drawing. The attached pictures are of 2, 8 inch  versions that are part of my collection. One is the earlier design swivel latch and one with the later design latch. The later design has a screw in latch release handle as the earlier design the handle is part of the latch release paw part. The earlier swivel latch example has one of the sections broken out that locks the swivel head in position. I have 2 - 6 inch, 2 - 8 inch and 1 - 18 inch version in my collection. I am on the lookout for a 10 inch and a 12 inch version. I would be interested in hearing about any other variations that are out there. 

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Re: Ellis Adjustable Wrench Variations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
A few more pictures.

Offline leg17

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
I see many wrenches in this general shape, Wescott, Bemis & Call, etc.,.

I was wondering what was the first adjustable wrench shaped like this?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
I see many wrenches in this general shape, Wescott, Bemis & Call, etc.,.

I was wondering what was the first adjustable wrench shaped like this?
Thanks, Tom

To quote from Stan Schultz's DATAMP entry for George Taft's patent of April 27, 1869: "The "S" handle shown in the drawings is the first appearance of the feature in U.S. wrench patents, but is not mentioned in the specifications."

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=89517&typeCode=0

In England Richard Clyburn invented his curved handle adjustable spanner in the early 1840's.

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »

The 1885 catalog I have been reading actually states the B&C wrench is based on an English pattern....
Not that that is authorative, but it hints people were aware of the design's origin back then at least..

Sure would be nice if the Brits hadn't carted all the patent office drawings off to the dump...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
Les,

I see what you were talking about yesterday. Pictures are worth 1000s of words!

Bob
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:39:31 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline leg17

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
The 1885 catalog I have been reading actually states the B&C wrench is based on an English pattern....

Thanks,  I am accumulating tools for a "heritage" collection.  A decent early B&C might be a good fit.  Thanks again.
Tom