Author Topic: Inside a ratchet: How they work  (Read 114635 times)

Offline Flotsam

Re: Inside a ratchet: How they work
« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
wow  thank you.    My only guess is that its in the area  behind  the pawl.    I got mine apart   but  guessing the sequence for reassembly is   
1.  pin that the  pawl rotates around
2.  Direction selector  (but there must be some trick to it)
It seems like selector must be installed while pawl is completely in wrong  direction and then must be rotated in.
3.  So the spring seems like it must be behind pawl when it is in the right direction
4. Drop ratchet "capsule"  back in  w spacer on one side
5.  Put back the retaining spring

Correct me if you think i have this wrong
I need to get the appropriate grease for this.

thanks again

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2019, 08:39:30 PM »
I'd use SuperLube synthetic grease in there. Don't go hogwild with it, though.

Let me pop my 1/4" drive Tru-Test rat apart tomorrow and refamiliarize myself with it.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Flotsam

« Reply #332 on: August 05, 2019, 03:29:21 AM »
thanks that would be most appreciated

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #333 on: August 13, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »
Gang,

I recently acquired a nice little Fleet 1260-1, 3/8-drive round head ratchet that may be of interest to some of you.  It has a 45-tooth ring gear and a single see-saw pawl in the ratchet core.  This ratchet was made and sold between ~ mid-1950's and mid-1960's.

Ratchet core and components disassembled,

The pin on the side of the pawl goes into the slot of the direction knob. The spring goes in that slot, underneath the pin.
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
A new-to-me ratchet. 1/4" no brand. Just Chromium-Vanadium Japan. Normally I just breeze past these foreign jobbies, but this one had a fairly small head yet large for a quarter drive crisp knurled handle. It turned, so handed over a $1 for it.
disassembled and cleaned/lubed. 41 teeth, single see-saw mechanism. Reminiscent of an S-K. (Think I recall Japan copied an S-K design or two).
Anyway, the head is not quite as compact as the MATCO comfort handle but the knurled handle is longer and thicker than most I have. Fits nicly in the hand, nice selector design, too!
Ratchet Guru