Author Topic: Inside a ratchet: How they work  (Read 223730 times)

Offline wvginseng

Re: Inside a ratchet: How they work
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
I collect mostly older ratchets, here is a odd one a mopar u.s.a. I believe may have been made by bonney? the bottom 
photo shows the gear and the single pawl, does not really match too many designs. sorry for the poor photos.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:10:03 PM by wvginseng »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011, 09:36:14 PM »
Cool ratchet!
Try angling your camera a little off of 90 degrees when snapping it. Then the chrome won't send the flash back in the lens.
Ratchet Guru

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
Bonneyman,

I have a Thorsen 77J 3/8" drive open head ratchet for you; the overall length is 7-1/2" while the head width is 1-1/8".  This design was not intended to be disassembled during normal use or a normal lifetime.  It was instead designed to be easy to clean and lube and perform reliably under the worst of conditions.  Here's some photos:

Overview with the gear cover removed and shown below the ratchet

Close-up side view of head.  Note there is a cavity in the handle shank with spring and ball that keeps tension on the V-shaped lever/pawl assembly.  The lever and pawls are all one piece.  The pawls each have two teeth that engage the drive gear.  The drive gear has 30 teeth.

Top view of head.  Note the pivit pin for the lever/pawl assembly.  This pin is pressed in.

I'm guessing the drive bit could be pressed out from one side or the other, which would allow the gear to be removed/replaced, but I have never had reason to try this.

Hope this adds to the body of ratchet knowledge....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:30:00 PM by lauver »
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Thanks, Gary, for those great open-head pics!
Really kicking myself for letting those two open rats get away. Live and learn I guess.
Ratchet Guru

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
bonneyman,

You're welcome.  If you have this same thread on other tool sites, feel free to repost my photos and text.  It's all good.

BTW-- I used this thread the other day when I was reassembling a Proto boxhead ratchet.  I wanted to make sure I got the selector cam oriented correctly before I got everything buttoned up.  Nothing like having a good photo to look at.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
bonneyman,

You're welcome.  If you have this same thread on other tool sites, feel free to repost my photos and text.  It's all good.

BTW-- I used this thread the other day when I was reassembling a Proto boxhead ratchet.  I wanted to make sure I got the selector cam oriented correctly before I got everything buttoned up.  Nothing like having a good photo to look at.

I'm glad you found the thread helpful. That's one of the reasons I started it - to help others out.
I did try it over at GJ, but have since left that forum. Was thinking maybe GG, but then I see alot of guys from over there posting here. Don't want to do too much reduplicating.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Tool Pants

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
The one marked Mopar is a Bonney.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
Here are some Husky guts with lots of really old crud on them. I'll take it apart and clean it up for another photo later.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
Nice old rat, kxxr!
Ratchet Guru

Offline kxxr

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
More guts, less crud. This came to me courtesy of Bob W.(amertrac) up in the Mountains of N.Y., UFO country!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
That looks very much like a New Britain S40 rat I have pictured on page 2. Could they share a common manufacturer?
Ratchet Guru

Offline kxxr

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »
I'm pretty certain the Husky is New Britain made also. I'll look closer for any model number stampings as I do more cleaning.
The Husky name has endured but the company only stood on its own for a very few years, having been founded in 1924 by Sigmund Mandl (of Blackhawk fame). The Husky name was sold in 1929 to Olsen Mfg, and Sigmund went to work for Blackhawk. New Britain had acquired Husky by 1932. That's a pretty short run for a name that is still with us today and not going anywhere soon.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:32:08 AM by kxxr »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
Cool! Guess I learned something new from the ratchet forum today!
Ratchet Guru

Offline kxxr

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »
Can someone tell me how to disassemble this little devil? I think Stanley still makes a version of this ratchet but I'm not sure. I didn't see it pictured in this thread yet. If I can get it apart, I'll take some photos. I borrowed these photos from Lump, I wonder if he still has some of these? It is a taiwan MicroTough. The shift switch is machined out to hold some sort of mechanism, if that's a clue to anyone. I can see it moving in there and can manipulate it with a probe, but damned if I can see how it comes apart.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:03:29 PM by kxxr »

Offline rusty

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

Never seen one of those either, but, sometimes the trick is pushing the release button in all the way with the reverse lever held in the middle.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.