Author Topic: tools  (Read 3738 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
tools
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:31:07 AM »
Can someone tell me whats the deal with these things, they are marked OTC 402-1 and OTC 401-1. Looking on-line I find a seal removal tool but I cant imagine how they would work? The 4 appear to go with one another and maybe its not even a compete set.

Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline oldgoaly

Re: tools
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:48:23 AM »
tail pipe or muffler expanders

A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
401-x is part of a set of (I think 5) seal pushers (goes in the hole on the back, you tap it with a hammer, tt drives the seal out the front ...oil seals generally have a metal outer ring to hold them in ) it is listed as obsolete, so there is likely some newer part number now...

402 might be for Ford hubs...Without the prefix I can't tell, and I can't match it to a picture :(

(You don't have complete part numbers, you just have the end part, the complete catalog number has another number before that number that tells you what it fits, I have run into that with older OTC tools, sigh)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
Item at left rear in first photo is probably part of a seal or bearing remover.  It would go through the bearing, then be expanded by an internal tapered mandrel to spread the fingers out until the ledges were spread wider than the internal hole.  The items which look like tailpipe expanders use the same principal of tapered mandrel and conical interior surfaces.  The "special puller" seen in a different thread in this group [with two nut splitters and something else] may grip the top hex of some of these to pull the tool and seal; I'd guess that it has a threaded hole at left, that can screw onto a slide hammer.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:53:21 PM »
Item at left rear in first photo is probably part of a seal or bearing remover.  It would go through the bearing, then be expanded by an internal tapered mandrel to spread the fingers out until the ledges were spread wider than the internal hole.  The items which look like tailpipe expanders use the same principal of tapered mandrel and conical interior surfaces.  The "special puller" seen in a different thread in this group [with two nut splitters and something else] may grip the top hex of some of these to pull the tool and seal; I'd guess that it has a threaded hole at left, that can screw onto a slide hammer.

You are correct on the item at the rear left, it is a Robins A/C tool. Thanks for the thought on the others.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
tail pipe or muffler expanders

Id like to have some tailpipe muffler expanders but for now Ill have to settle for this

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »
401-x is part of a set of (I think 5) seal pushers (goes in the hole on the back, you tap it with a hammer, tt drives the seal out the front ...oil seals generally have a metal outer ring to hold them in ) it is listed as obsolete, so there is likely some newer part number now...

402 might be for Ford hubs...Without the prefix I can't tell, and I can't match it to a picture :(

(You don't have complete part numbers, you just have the end part, the complete catalog number has another number before that number that tells you what it fits, I have run into that with older OTC tools, sigh)

Things Ill prob. never use anyway, thanks though

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
Looks like I have found more pieces to these seal drivers so maybe I will have cause to use them one day since the set is becoming more complete.

Hardest part is going to be remembering what they are used for 5 minutes ...I mean years from now. :)

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
These look like the seal remover installers for the transmission output shaft seal on rear wheel drive cars.  The solid drivers are for reinstalling same.   These can reach inside the seal and pull them out, without any disassembling the transmission. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society