Author Topic: Pliers  (Read 999 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Pliers
« on: August 23, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »
Is that the proper name for a non-locking hand held tool that I can secure onto something or is that technically a trade name that people easily identify with?

Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Pliers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »
Generally, pliers consist of a pair of metal first-class levers joined at a fulcrum positioned closer to one end of the levers, creating short jaws on one side of the fulcrum, and longer handles on the other side.[1] This arrangement creates a mechanical advantage, allowing the force of the hand's grip to be amplified and focused on an object with precision. The jaws can also be used to manipulate objects too small or unwieldy to be manipulated with the fingers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliers
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »
Ok pliers it is, wanted to make sure I used the word correctly
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
Then you have "plierwrench's"

I would add to the formal definition the following:

Pliers grip and the gripping surfaces move in use. There are a lot of pliers with more than one joint.

Generally, a wrench has stationary jaws in use. For instance, a crescent adjustable wrench has moveable jaws, but when gripping a bolt head they are stationary.

Chilly