Author Topic: Spark plug tool  (Read 1592 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Spark plug tool
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:27:42 AM »
I dont see the benefit or how this is used that would make it any better than just your typical gapping tool?
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Spark plug tool
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:39:30 AM »
The One Handed Gapper!   We always checked the gap on plugs before installing them.   Whether this one is faster, is a question.   Of course back when, one could count on two tune-ups per day, V8 engines, sixteen plugs, save a few seconds, maybe.   Also good for resizing the gap after removing and blast cleaning plugs, which we did a few times per week.    Might come under the heading of (gizmo), a marginally useful tool. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
Perhaps Snap-On felt a mechanic should not handle hot plugs? I don't see how this could really be used with only one hand.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
Someone gave me one of these recently (not branded Snap-On but otherwise exactly the same tool).  The advantage, besides saving a couple seconds,  is that the tool maintains the parallel alignment of the electrode.  Our little gapper tools with the bendy thing do not.
This was an advantage back when plugs would wear out in a year's time.  I had a 1970 Dodge truck with a 318 and had to change the plugs twice a year to keep it ticking over smooth.

1930:  Is that a spare disc or does it have different gap sizes?
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline turnnut

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »
it looks like the spare is .018 to .035  and the one on the tool
is thicker, like .040-.050 etc.

years ago I had used one, and they are very accurate, once you get
used to using it, you would like it.

patent number 2,645,142 was issued to Otto Schwenzfeier, McCook, Nesbraska on July 14, 1953

if you put the patent number in DATAMP, they do not show it, but will lead you to the patent
by clicking on the line that show USPTO information.

the patent shows the tool with a spark plug set into it. the write-up really explains the use.

remember when you used the old tool that lifted the stem that you set the gap, and sometimes
it would twist as you were prying it up,  this tool prevents that from happening.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:18:02 AM by turnnut »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »
it looks like the spare is .018 to .035  and the one on the tool
is thicker, like .040-.050 etc.

years ago I had used one, and they are very accurate, once you get
used to using it, you would like it.

patent number 2,645,142 was issued to Otto Schwenzfeier, McCook, Nesbraska on July 14, 1953

if you put the patent number in DATAMP, they do not show it, but will lead you to the patent
by clicking on the line that show USPTO information.

the patent shows the tool with a spark plug set into it. the write-up really explains the use.

remember when you used the old tool that lifted the stem that you set the gap, and sometimes
it would twist as you were prying it up,  this tool prevents that from happening.

Actually the one in the tool reads 35-80. What the heck plug takes an 80 gap?

I am going to use the tool as you suggest, can you provide a link here to the datatamp instruction on its use. Id like to see that but am lucky to be able to access this site let alone the hollowed halls of datatamp. Thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »

Try the link below for the patent.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US2645142.pdf

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »