Author Topic: Plomb WF ratchet?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline stanley62

Plomb WF ratchet?
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
This sure looks like a Plomb WF type ratchet, but only marking is an O on handle.  Didn't someone post one of these next to a 3/8" drive WF ratchet before?  Does anyone have any evidence, other than appearance, that this wass made by Plomb?
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline J.A.F.E.

Re: Plomb WF ratchet?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »
I have one in 1/4 and 1/2 with no markings and I may have a 9/32. They are otherwise identical to their marked Plomb brothers and sisters. I had one that was unmarked but had Plomb markings on the plate that I have since traded.

I have no proof but to my eye the forgings look identical (except for the markings or lack of) and the guts and plates interchange.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »
 I have a similar one with (O) in different location. Mine is also enhanced with the hanger hole improvement.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline stanley62

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
You have to love the rocket scientists that just have to install a hang hole.  I have even seen sone planes that have this feature...(Unfortunately, I have a couple planes bought at auction that have this feature...)
Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »

I suppose hanging a plane is better than setting it blade down on a rock...

There was a kind of 'pegboard fad' for a while, the 'ideal' work shop had pegboard on every available vertical surface, and everything was hung on the wall in plain sight.
 In as much as half the basement handymen didn't use half the tools they bought, I always figured the point was so you could bask in the glory of how many tools you had aquired in the name of basic home maintainance.....

Personally, I bask in the glory of how deep the depressions are in the concrete floor made by storing my boxes of old tools there...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
You have to love the rocket scientists that just have to install a hang hole.  I have even seen sone planes that have this feature...(Unfortunately, I have a couple planes bought at auction that have this feature...)
Jim

The concept is pre-rocket scientist.  I bought a smoothing plane years ago, a nice carpenter-made plane with no cap-iron -- prolly early 1800s.  On the side of the body, a hang hole had been drilled.  Not a modern embellishment, as the hole had been drilled with a quill bit.