Author Topic: The most beautiful tool I've ever owned...came from a "Free" pile this afternoon  (Read 11172 times)

Offline Bulucanagria

I was almost home, less than a quarter mile away when the wooden tool chest caught my eye. I thought, "Hm. I wonder how much they want for -FREE!!!!" Tires screeching, quick reverse up onto the sidewalk (no pedestrians were hurt in the acquisition of these tools). I was out of the truck and up to the pile at a speed I haven't reached in a decade or so.

The wooden tool chest was nice but not as nice as it looked at 35mph, but it went into the truck, as did the Craftsman 4-drawer base cabinet and Black & Decker Workmate.

There was also a milk crate with some tools in it. I grabbed it with only a glance at the contents, enough to see some braces and some wooden things.

One of the wooden things was the beauty pictured here, which I keep finding myself looking at in awe and thinking, "Who the hell could look at this and just put it by the curb?"

The other wooden thing I'll show you a little later and is probably the real score from this pile.
Trash to Treasure Winner 2014

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
What a score!!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bulucanagria

What a score!!

Especially when you add in this!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
You have won an award! Soon as I figure out what award to bestow on you!

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
You have won an award! Soon as I figure out what award to bestow on you!
   Its a hoover maneuver, for sure.
My suggestion is that you give him a u-turn sign!

Chilly

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Here ya go!

Offline jabberwoki

• Puyallup WA
You so suck!!!!
I`d be giggling for hrs after a grab like that. I`m so glad you saved that beautiful stuff from quite possibly the trash!

Offline Bulucanagria

Here ya go!

Thank you. I'll treasure this moment forever. (Pun sorta not intended but why not.)

I`d be giggling for hrs after a grab like that. I`m so glad you saved that beautiful stuff from quite possibly the trash!

(Ignoring the first line) Honestly, I'm still grinning about the whole thing. Tomorrow when I wake up and see this stuff sitting on the desk, I'll start right back up again!

Offline john k

• Contributor
You got sharp eyes!   So glad you saved these fine tools, am afraid there are folks still out there that think: It's old, its junk, toss it.   Hopefully we can continue to intervene. 

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Perfect recognition Papaw! 

Offline bear_man

My gosh!  A beautiful, beautiful, beautiful score!  Are there any markings on the brace?  And I notice you didn't get close-ups of all the bits — l-to-r of the five side-by-side, #2 & #5 look like Boker's.  Curiously, to me, I don't recognize any of the other maker's names at all!  And the 4th from the left I don't recognize the pattern/intended-use at all!  Perhaps everything's European (which could include Boker-styles too, though he also worked in the US)?

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
I find some amazing free stuff here, But nothing like what you found!! COGRATULTIONS! on your treasures...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Bulucanagria

My gosh!  A beautiful, beautiful, beautiful score!  Are there any markings on the brace?  And I notice you didn't get close-ups of all the bits — l-to-r of the five side-by-side, #2 & #5 look like Boker's.  Curiously, to me, I don't recognize any of the other maker's names at all!  And the 4th from the left I don't recognize the pattern/intended-use at all!  Perhaps everything's European (which could include Boker-styles too, though he also worked in the US)?

If there are any markings on the brace they're on the inside or so small I couldn't see them with a magnifying glass. two of the bits have no maker's mark that I could find. I think these are from a time when there were many small, independent foundries and smiths turning out tools and accessories. The last one says "J. Reaves & Son Heat Work" which sounds like a small family business.

#4 is the same as #2 & #5 (which I somehow cut off in the photo). It's turned on its side so you can see the spur which is perpendicular to the plane of what's basically a spade bit.

Offline Branson

I don't know which scores the highest, the box of auger bits or the brace.  Sheesh!  Who cares who made the brace?  No matter which maker produced it it's fully brass bound with a solid brass pad.  Only one brace is more pricey -- the ultimatum or signature brace. 

After I get over the envy of your find, I gotta say that I'm really, really glad you got this haul before the junkers!

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Oooooooh, ahhhhhh!
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.