Author Topic: Ebay groaners of the week  (Read 4491 times)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Ebay groaners of the week
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
I sometimes watch things on ebay.
 My tastes are all over the place. I do not shop in a single category.
But I do look at unusual tools, that I have a chance of getting (has to be rock bottom).

This week, these were uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh

Poverty just sux

Looks like at least traces of the original striped finish in a couple of the pix to me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121429320684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

well under $3 a pair, including postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121430284274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

no explanation, just heartbroke

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Blackhawk-ratchet-34998-3-8-034-drive-black-hawk-antique-old-/380990884605?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=O5OJDMb%252FSH8G6vIVhrvs%252FE%252FGSq4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

yours Scott

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
Re: Ebay groaners of the week
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
Hi Scott ! Hope you are OK in Happy Camp !!

Those ignition pliers would have doubled my collection at one time, you just don't see them very often.

Any thing special with the Blackhawk ratchet ? I just finished a clean and lube on one that is not as vintage as that one.

Brian

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »
Hi Scott ! Hope you are OK in Happy Camp !!

Those ignition pliers would have doubled my collection at one time, you just don't see them very often.

Any thing special with the Blackhawk ratchet ? I just finished a clean and lube on one that is not as vintage as that one.

Brian

Thanks Brian
  I am doing ok. Doin the best I can.

The Blackhawk ratchet was early and rare. Blackhawk tried a lot of designs over their career. Really innovative stuff at the time. Way out on a limb.
    Not easy to get the ones they didn't make very many of. This was one of those.
    yours Scott

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:03:53 AM »
Too bad that Blackhawk got away; I would like one myself and the price was right!

Looks to be a 1950s "Ball-Head" or "Bald-Head" (yes, they used both terms!)...

Kijiji King

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »
Scottg,
The fire in h Happy Camp area sounded serious. I hope it did not get too close.
Coolest regards,
John
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
 The fires started here. Right here.    I saw it happen.

One little bitty black cloud, full of lightning and no rain, rolled right along the ground, right over top of my head.

It sparked 250 fires. But 248 of them were extinguished or under control in the next 2 days.
  The other two though? They broke out on a mountainside so steep, not even guys in steel studded logging boots can stand on it.  Directly across the river from me. I saw it happen.

My boys on the fire department were there in a heartbeat with the biggest baddest tanker on the whole river.
  Bertha Mae, live and in person!
 But even Bertha's mighty water cannon couldn't get there.

So we all watched helpless as it spread in every direction.
   For the next 2 nights I had a panorama of fire covering 180 degrees, north to south. Nightime especially, the solid orange and red mountain.................

The Forest Service called in a fire camp of 2000 men, We had tankers were had helicopters we had the crack smoke jumpers.
 But nobody could do anything. It was just too steep. Too far from any road.

Well it burned over the horizon.
       It is now 35 miles from here
Easily the largest fire in my 44 years here.

But though a quirk if fate, it happened to be cooler and more humid than many years. The fire mostly burned the understory and spared what looks like 70% of the tall trees.

coff coff

we still get smoke.

yours Scott