Author Topic: I know it's a hacksaw. Other than that...  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Bulucanagria

I know it's a hacksaw. Other than that...
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »
I picked up this hacksaw in one of the toolbox acquisitions of the last month or so. (they've been finding me rather than the other way around.)

It's fairly covered in surface rust but I'm able to make out the single name of "Webster" on the crossbar. (Is that the proper name for that piece? Probably not.)

A few things stood out to me about this one. First off, the blade is pretty darn long at 19-3/4". Secondly, the blade seems to be permanently attached by rivets. Is this saw meant to be sharpened when dull?

As you might imagine a web search for anything named "Webster" simply brings up multiple references to it's definition on various pages that link to the dictionary entry for that item. Thus I've been unable to learn anything about the company. There is a town nearby called Webster and I suspect it may be related to that. Many of the towns in central Massachusetts were heavily engaged in industry and I've noticed quite a few tool companies were among them. Is it possible that this was a small, obscure company of little note?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Trash to Treasure Winner 2014

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: I know it's a hacksaw. Other than that...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:23 PM »
The blades on many meat saws are riveted on, and, yes, are meant to be sharpened.  I suspect you've got a meat saw.

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:17:40 PM »
It is a butchers meat saw.

Joe B

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:59 PM »
Butcher's saw.

There is enough flex in the frame to push the pins, not rivets out and replace the blade.

Butcher pushing that saw 10 hours a day was too valuable to let sharpen the blades.  Sharpening men in small vans went shop to shop and sharpened blades & knives weekly.

You want to have some fun, get 2 boys about 12 years old and watch them run that saw through some ham bones to slice the ham up.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Bulucanagria

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »
My best friend's a butcher. I should have known this. I've used the modern version of this saw many times when I help him slaughter sheep.

Thanks folks.
Trash to Treasure Winner 2014