Author Topic: "The girl who left her sock on the floor" Deborah Eisenberg  (Read 7130 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
"The girl who left her sock on the floor" Deborah Eisenberg
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »
This is a stand off between Jessica and Francie...  I suppose you can throw your clothes on the floor, or you can pick them up, fold them, or hand them on hangers. But, Deborah's story is interesting... worthy of reading, for sure.

"You know," Francie said, "there are people in the world--- not many, but a few--- to whom the most important thing is not whether there happens to be a sock on the floor.  There are people in the world who are not afraid to face realtiy, to face the fact that the floor is the natural place for a sock, that the floor is where a sock just naturally goes when it's off.  But do we fearless few have a voice??  No.  No, these are words which must never be spoken--- true, Jesica?  This is a thought which must never be thought."
       It makes sense to me that socks belong on the floor ... but, I suppose you should read the Deborah Eisenberg story.  I doubt I've improved my situation by quoting other persons. ...  I don't think anything has changed, be submissive, subservient, and appeasing to the persons that are in charge in you, and you have a shot of getting out of hell.  I don't think anything has changed.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Branson

Re: "The girl who left her sock on the floor" Deborah Eisenberg
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:04 AM »
Love it!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
Mee too! ++1
 yours Scott

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
I really don't like socks left on the floor. My wife leaves them everywhere, then can't find them!
But I bet your pointing this out to us has a point. Right, Bird?

Be your own leader in your quest to avoid hell.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:21:16 AM »
When they start listing the reasons I should go to hell it is going to be a long time before they get to my socks!

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
OF COURSE there's a point... have I ever not made sense????  HAHA!  Tell your wife if she's going to leave her socks on the floor (which makes sense to me, why would you throw socks in some 'top drawer'... makes no sense to me....."  Anyhow, tell your wife to leave both socks on the floor in close proximity to each other. Oh, and it sounds like you better be careful as to where you walk...  don't want to hear you're in the hospital with a broken back because you slipped on a sock!!!
cheers,
bird

PS   As for hell, been there, done that....  for years I've had the comfort of knowing I can only "move up" in a positive direction from where I was.  That's a good feeling, and one I try to remind myself of, often.

I really don't like socks left on the floor. My wife leaves them everywhere, then can't find them!
But I bet your pointing this out to us has a point. Right, Bird?

Be your own leader in your quest to avoid hell.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
Well, I'm still the girl that leaves socks on the floor....  I don't mean to leave them laying about, but, it seems socks should remain close to the ground. I'm not sure who could make the arguement that socks should be shuved into some drawer in the top of a dresser.  Why would you put socks in the top drawer of your dresser when they are meant to go on the lowest place there is....  a persons foot.  Anyhow, just another crazy rant from me that seems to make sense. Socks should be on the floor.  It doesn't make any sense for socks to be smuggled away by a top drawer in my dresser.
      Yep, I'm a little "off my rocker."  But, I still believe socks should be on the floor, and other items of clothing should be in the other drawers of that dresser that has managed to park itself in my kitchen.....  just a thought.
cheers
bird.

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »

Socks go in the fridge, I thought everyone knew that....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:11 AM »
cheers to you, rusty!
bird

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »

Socks go in the fridge, I thought everyone knew that....

That's so true- right next to your car keys!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 03:24:36 AM »
I can actually say there is something I've not lost.....  my car keys.  I'm not so sure they've ever ventured outside the ignition.....  so, for once, I've not lost keys. Oh, and I've never lost the keys to my house, either.  Of course, I would have to know where those keys to my house were before I could lose them.  To this day, I'm not sure I have a key to lock my house....  it's been 8 or nine years now.... never have found a key to lock my house doors.  But, really, if someone decided to break into my house, I don't think the absence of a key would deter a burglar.
     But, the fact remains, " I don't think I have a key to this house I've lived in for 8 or nine years now."  I'm sure there is a key to this house somewhere. I haven't found a key to this house, but, I've never looked for one, either.
      A lot of persons have things to say to me about not locking my house.  Even when I lived in Houston, I didn't lock the doors.  I'm not quite sure what the problem is.  I had friends stay with my at my folks lake house. This lake house is in bum-fuck Moneta, VA.  They managed to lock all of the doors before they went to sleep. It really pissed me off.....  I couldn't get out of the house or back into the house.....  they found every lock there was to lock.
     I was irritated.  But, why was I irritated?  I realized the idea of being locked into a place was far more disturbing to me than being locked out of a place. So, when I tried to go outside, and had to jump through hoops to get oustside......  well, that's what freaked me out.  If I'm inside, I may lock the doors so that no one can bother me.  But, this odd obsession of most persons to lock the doors ....  especially if they're out in the country.....  is something I didn't deal with well.
      The next morning, I said, "OK, no one is going to murder you here, unless it's me because I can't figure out how to get OUTSIDE!!!!!!!  So, could all of you PLEASE stop locking me into this house!!!!"    I've never considered myself to be particularly claustrophobic.  But, I realized that I was somewhat prone to being suffocated if I couldn't get out of my own house.  So, not much changed. I had wierd friends that were scared of being in a house that was far in the country. They continued to lock the doors, and I continued to wait until all of those folks were asleep.  Once I knew they were asleep, I made sure that every door was unlocked. 
        I guess I like for persons to come and go as they please.  And, as for me, I'm only paranoid about my house if all of the exits are locked closed.   But, you folks know me....  I'm not the average bear!
cheers,
bird

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
When I was a kid, it was easy to lose track of house keys.  I don't remember ever locking the house except once a year when we went on vacation.  Days long gone for me.