Author Topic: M-diamond or W-diamond logo wrench  (Read 2619 times)

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
  • Leominster Massachusetts
M-diamond or W-diamond logo wrench
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »
Here is a heavy ( 3/16" thick) stamped 5/8" x 3/4" wrench that I initially thought was a Mossberg but the logo seems off. Is is a M-diamond (Mossberg)? or a W-diamond (Williams?)? Any thoughts?

The Mossberg M's that I typically see are ones with "feet" or straight "legs". This one has no "feet" and "legs" are spread so I am leaning toward a W. The W-diamond I typically associate with Williams. Did they make stamped wrenches early on?
Looking for Bluepoint X & XD Series Box Wrenches

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Re: M-diamond or W-diamond logo wrench
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
Hi!

What you are showing is a Williams symbol.  The Mossberg symbol has vertical outside strokes as the picture shows. I also confirmed yours is a Williams symbol by checking some Williams wrenches in the collection.

Bob

Offline rusty

Re: M-diamond or W-diamond logo wrench
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »

I agree it is not a Mossberg mark, there are 4 I have examples of, none are like that. Also, mossberg seems to have used horizontal fraction lines.

The weird fraction thing is, Williams went out of their way to advertise that they *only* produced *drop forged* wrenches...

But who knows, they may have succumbed to the market at some point...

The only other possability I can think of is Wakefield, but I have never seen them use any mark but their name...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.