Author Topic: Chisel????  (Read 6293 times)

lzenglish

Chisel????
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »
I forgot to put the ruler beside it, so figure 11 inches overall length. I have never seen one of these before, and first thought it was a flat blade screwdriver ground down, So, does anyone recognize it? I believe the wood handle has "POLAND" and "HI TEST" marks under it, but it is pretty worn. Possible chisel? Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline rusty

Re: Chisel????
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »

Gasket scraper?

How come the Perfect Handle Admiration Society didn't come up with one of those? LOL!

Seems to be just a screwdriver....perhaps, another one :http://www.toolexchange.com.au/screwdrivers.htm

It's a very nice design in any case....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
No one has asked for one yet…
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:12:02 AM »
I don't know what it is but whatever it is you better keep it under lock and key around here  lol bob w,
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »
 Hey now, I only repurpose the ones that are damaged and are no longer useful for there original purpose… LOL

lzenglish

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
Thanks Guys! I'm not sure what it is yet, but there are two things about it that make me lean against gound down screwdriver. 1.) I have examined the tip under a magnifier, and it looks to be semetrical, and factory, not reground. The tip has been sharpened, but that is the only tool marks on it. 2.) I'm not a perfect handle expert, but doesn't the butt end of it look a bit beefy? Also it has what appears to be strike marks on the butt end as well. At this point, I 'm going with either chisel, or gasket scraper, but this is why i gave up going to reno many years ago, because i loose most of the time on bets.Lol

PS. the only marks are on the wood handle, and they are "POLAND", over what looks like "HITEST". I have put in a liitle google time on it, but will hit the PC again when I get back from Mom's.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »

hmm i do need a new gasket scraper.... 
i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

hmm i do need a new gasket scraper.... 
One can be had for a fair price....

lzenglish

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
I'm unable to post pictures at this time, but this was not made to be a chisel. It is a Screwdriver/Hammer combination, not unlike the cresent type which I have posted in the past. I will edit this post and add the pictures I found when I'm able to do so.

Wayne

Edit:

In the first picture, (4th screwdriver in from the left side), is one like mine. Then the other 2 pictures show it blown up in size, on the left side. Notice how different (BEEFY) the blade and handle head are on it, compared to all the others. I also found one for sale on the web, that described it as a hammer/screwdriver combo which is all I have to go on, but believe to be true. The previous owner of mine must have gound the tip to an edge, and used it as a chisel or scraper. Also,I did find an old vise on the web with the "Poland" "Hi-Test" name which is stamped into the wooden handle on my screwdriver, but I'm still not sure if they made it, or H.D. Smith???????? Any other thoughts or info. appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:53:34 PM by lzenglish »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
I won't say it is not H D Smith, but I haven't seen one like it, and the configuration of the scales is different from H D Smith.
Try looking at Irwin.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:00:12 AM by Papaw »

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

lzenglish

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »
I won't say it is not H D Smith, but I haven't seen one like it, and thre configuration of the scales is different from H D Smith.
Try looking at Irwin.

Thanks, I will explore the Irwin possibility. Below is the one I found for sale on the web, and as you can see it is an exact match. But, they don't seem to know who made it either. I'm going to try and post the URL address below, but not sure if it will take. If not, google hammer/screwdriver, and you can see it on "Tias" for sale. http://www.tias.com/8600/PicPage/3923696133.html. At this point, I would just like to know if it is in fact a "Screwdriver/Hammer"?

Thanks,

Wayne

Edit: I see the "Tias" site shows up, but you will need to put Screwdriver/Hammer in the search box to see it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:02:15 AM by lzenglish »

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »
It makes no sense to me to have such a thick heavy blade on a thin shaft...

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
Except that is common for gasket scrapers.

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

lzenglish

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
It makes no sense to me to have such a thick heavy blade on a thin shaft...

I agree Brian, and I don't know what was in the designers head when he thought this up. But, I have now seen this strange beast 3 times, including the one I own, so I know it was not home made, or modified (except for the sharpend tip on mine). I have to go with the Hammer/Screwdriver title for now, as it is the only thing that makes any sense to me so far.

Wayne

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »
I'm thinking it is a gasket scraper...