Author Topic: When is a Ratchet not a Ratchet?  (Read 9047 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: When is a Ratchet not a Ratchet?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
To me, rare is an over used term. I think in order to determine rarity that you need to have some idea of how many were made and /or how many may still exist. A couple for instances: the large John Deere cut-out wrench is rare. Only a handful are known of the 100(I think) that were made. The miniature Wilton bullet vise I posted is also rare, as only 7 were made.

The Reechet, on the other hand, was a manufactured item that probably had thousands made. How many survived is of course unknown. I would call it uncommon, but not rare. But that's just me, and probably not indicative of how others may feel.

The value of an item is determined by how many are available along with how many people want that item. To determine that value is the hard part.

Since I haven't had anyone "breaking down my door"  trying to buy my Reechet for a ridiculous sum of money I would say that they aren't worth a whole lot nor are they rare.
For this kind of item I fall back on the idea "that it is worth whatever you and I agree on,at this particular time,on this particular day". That, of course, could change with a different seller, a different buyer, and a different day.

Just my ideas.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Bad 31

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »
Thanks Mike, I agree with your assessment. I probably used rare as a generic term, when uncommon would have worked better. I seem to find more of my unusual items in misplaced locations. I found a Moore Drop Forge T-Model head bolt/ spark plug wrench today in a bin full of crow bars. How do I know it's the real deal? It has the Moore Forge casting mark, the T Model part number and the Ford logo on it. I've had several of the common style wrenches but this is my first with the T-model part number on it. It was probably with the crow bars because of the shape of it. Thanks for your opinion.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »
Back in the 70s?  A company came out with some very strange tools and ratchets patterned after those used by astronauts.   Strange shaped and bulky so they could be wielded while wearing those thick gloves.   Some of these tools remind me of those. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Navaja

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 01:55:05 PM »

I hope this isn't too far off topic with it being a still available modern tool.

I have had a 1/4 drive rotary ratchet made by Proxxon for about the last 10 years, it doesn't get lots of use but when it does it's worth it's weight in gold!

http://www.proxxon.com/en/industrial/23082.php?list

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 04:51:30 PM »
kxxr the ratchet in your picture has been sold under a bunch of different names over the years. Mine is marked SKILLCRAFT with no country of origin. Mine seems to work ok. Most I have run across are non working. Probably a light duty tool.

EvilDr235

Offline Northwoods

The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 05:27:19 AM »

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
I thought that I would throw my Reechet in the fire as I know this is a very old thread--however I did remember that I picked up a newer version with the same type of system.   The Reechet I have is marked with the AC in a circle emblem with the patent #--maybe AC Delco?   Or it could mean something else?
The larger version was from the 70's and is marked popular mechanic's Taiwan-much larger version w/reverse lever like a real ratchet and a twist lever handle.   Both will do a job as long as you have clearance.   Just my two cents worth!
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline amecks

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
I need to find something like that.  I occasionally have to loosen/tighten tracks on Toro Dingos - a walk-behind skid steer machine.  The opening for track adjustment only allows about two clicks per pull on a standard ratchet.  My back is still sore from the last track repair.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »
Now that I own one, it seems much more interesting! 
Just got one at a garage sale and fine it heavily built, strong, and well made.
Mine is marked A C and the patent number.

If you just have to have one, some optimistic Coloradoan can fix you right up.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AC-Gear-Operated-Ratchet-Wrench-Construction-Rotatable-Handle-3-8-Drive/183737758467?hash=item2ac79fb303:g:61sAAOSwFHZaofCk

I can make you just as happy for much less....
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
While I have no idea how rare these things are I know that I’ve never seen another.
My guess on the AC is that they were marketed by the AC Spark plug division. I can see where it could come in handy changing plugs in some of those real cramped engine bays.

Mike

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Good thought!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
I thought that I would throw my Reechet in the fire as I know this is a very old thread--however I did remember that I picked up a newer version with the same type of system.   The Reechet I have is marked with the AC in a circle emblem with the patent #--maybe AC Delco?   Or it could mean something else?
The larger version was from the 70's and is marked popular mechanic's Taiwan-much larger version w/reverse lever like a real ratchet and a twist lever handle.   Both will do a job as long as you have clearance.   Just my two cents worth!

Can't remember for sure if this was a AC Delco or possibly connected to Allis Chalmers for tractors?   Maybe it was clarified on another forum??
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
Since my site is still down, I may be thinking of a different "oddball" tool but I think I recall they actually started in Alton, IL??  Perhaps in the '30s.

EDIT: Nope, I was in fact thinking of a different tool called something like the "speediratch" or similar.  Disregard.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:13:36 AM by Twertsy »