Author Topic: Wrench Identity?  (Read 6943 times)

Offline kxxr

Wrench Identity?
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
I'll try to describe the wrench I'm trying to identify in words before I make you suffer some more of my art work, but I'll make a picture if I have to: )
I saw a set of 4 or 5 wrenches, double open end with the ratcheting design on both ends. They looked to be 50s vintage or possibly much older. What was odd about them was that they had a large thickened rectangle taking up the middle third of the handles. On the rectangle was some information in small print stamped into the forge. I think one of them said "SW 1000" or something like that and then some patent numbers etc in smaller print. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to figure out what they are. The guy is asking $40 for the set and I'm thinking I might need them. I've tried searching them down but with so little info, I haven't had much luck. If you have ever seen them, you'll probably remember, they have a very distinct look. Don't make me draw a picture.

Offline keykeeper

Re: Wrench Identity?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »
Stevens Walden maybe??

Nope, found it. http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/other-makers-p3.html#simplex

Scroll down to Simplex, about 1/3 way down page.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:42:41 PM by keykeeper »
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:03:06 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »
Rusty,

See my edited post above!!!

Hee Hee, I feel like Quick Draw McGraw!!!
-Aaron C.

Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.

Offline leg17

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
I'll try to describe the wrench I'm trying to identify in words before I make you suffer some more of my art work, but I'll make a picture if I have to: )
I saw a set of 4 or 5 wrenches, double open end with the ratcheting design on both ends. They looked to be 50s vintage or possibly much older. What was odd about them was that they had a large thickened rectangle taking up the middle third of the handles. On the rectangle was some information in small print stamped into the forge. I think one of them said "SW 1000" or something like that and then some patent numbers etc in smaller print. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to figure out what they are. The guy is asking $40 for the set and I'm thinking I might need them. I've tried searching them down but with so little info, I haven't had much luck. If you have ever seen them, you'll probably remember, they have a very distinct look. Don't make me draw a picture.

I have a set of four.  Picked them up in the Chicago area about 25 years ago.  Can't seem to find out much about them.
I will reply again tomorrow.  They are apparently pretty rare.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »
I wondered about simplex wrench because of the SW too. But the panels on these wrenches are raised rather than indented. Not a very ergonomic design I wouldn't think, but makes for a very distinctive look. Ok, you asked for it, here's more art work:

What are they??

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
Hey, it was a WAG. Curious now myself. Someone will surely know.
-Aaron C.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
I have a set of four.  Picked them up in the Chicago area about 25 years ago.  Can't seem to find out much about them.
I will reply again tomorrow.  They are apparently pretty rare.

Can you photo them?

Offline leg17

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »
Yep, them's the ones!
I am at work and my computer at home is torn up.
But I will try to post more info this afternoon.
Tom

Offline leg17

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »
Sorry I can't post photos.
I picked up four different wrenches in three separate purchases about 25 years ago at various flea markets in the Chicago area.
All four have the raised center panel stamped on one side with:
RATCHET ACTION
SPEED WRENCH

The two larger ones are stamped on the other side:
SW-1003(4)~USA
PATS. PENDING

The two smaller ones are stamped:
SW-1001(2)~USA
US PAT.3762244

The opening sizes are stamped on the head in the usual manner on the "RATCHET ACTION" side.
SW-1001 is 3/8 & 7/16
SW-1002 is 1/2 & 9/16
SW-1003 is 5/8 & 11/16
SW-1004 is 3/4 & 13/16

I have not ever seen any other sizes and only a couple of times in 25 years or so have I run across one of these anywhere.

Note: the larger ones marked "PATS. PENDING" appear to show a yellowish nickle plating and a strange rough texture to the main body of the wrench.  The heads and the center panel have been smoothed out, but not quite "polished".
The smaller ones with the patent number look more silvery like normal chrome plating and the main bodies had a different finish in the die that looks almost like any other un-polished forging.

If you search the patent, from the early 1970's, you will find the inventor as one James P. Evans and the assignee as SPECIALTY TOOLS.
I haven't found out much about that company.

Let us know if you end up with them.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
Those are definitely the markings you mention. I can't recall now if it was a 4 or 5 piece set, but for $40 I might have to go see if they are still there. I'll try some more research with the extra info you've given. Thanks. kr.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
Those may have been sold on Snap-on trucks back in the early 1970s...

crankshaftdan had a couple for sale on GJ last year:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67014

There are some better shots at the bottom of this page:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=49918

The 1971 patent shows assignment to Specialty Tools Inc. of Oklahoma. The parent company of Nupla (hammers, etc.) is also named Specialty Tools Inc.; I wonder if it's the same outfit? This same Specialty Tools Inc. also recently acquired Hisco Tools who were also located in Oklahoma City...

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/25260/specialty_tools_acquires_hisco_professional_tools.aspx

Kijiji King

Offline leg17

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the links.  These are the rascals in question.
All good info and most probably accurate.
Thanks again.
Tom

Offline leg17

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:55:23 PM »

Offline kxxr

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 09:46:57 PM »
sure enough, leave it to ebay. I'm tempted to see if I can get the set of 4 for less than 40 bucks, or maybe with something in trade. I'll photo them if I have any luck.