Author Topic: Auction today  (Read 2114 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Auction today
« on: November 30, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »
Went to an auction, retired farmer, selling out.   Not sure what was going on, maybe the family picked over everything, before it was brought to town for the sale.  No really old stuff, although his equipment was.   Was a welding helmet, and box of rods but no welder.  One rusty Stanley plane, and two rusty handsaws.   Set of old Japanese sockets.   Sale bill said many old farm tools.   I guess that was the axe, spade and shovel in the corner?   Was a Keen Kutter hand crank grind stone.   So I did something I never did before, after looking around and just before the bidding started, I went home!   All I was out was gas. On the good side, my purchases from that big electronic place arrived safe and well.   Have 3 more New Britain wrenches to add to the set.   Acquired 2 combination box-open, 1-1/16 and 1-1/8.   For the first CBO over an inch, never seen any before these.  So the week ended alright. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Re: Auction today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:32 AM »
Have had that kind of experience also. Drove 40 miles to auction that listed tools. They had one rusty hand saw. Knew the auction company exaggerated but that lead me to avoiding their sales regardless of their description. After a few years of healing, I went to one of their sales that advertised antique tools. Turned out to be stuff someone had in an antique shop and couldn't sell. Left before sale started and haven't attended any of their subsequent sales.Honesty is still the best policy.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench