Author Topic: Dremel No.1 - Is it possible?  (Read 10625 times)

LuckyNo

Dremel No.1 - Is it possible?
« on: December 28, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
Hello guys I just got what turns out to be a Dremel Model No.1 from my grandpa for Christmas. He suggested I look it up online to see if it was worth anything since it was the first model. It came in an old metal box with a silver sticker on it that had the red Dremel logo on it. It had
Model
No. 1
KIT
CAT. NO.
below the logo. The dremel itself was made of a black "body", a grey/silver metal piece on the end that had the cord protruding from it, and a metal piece of the same color in-between the nozzle that holds the bits and the "body". There is a brown switch that turns it on on the "body" and two brown knobs on either side of it that unscrew to have springs protruding from them. On the black body it has a sticker that had
MOTO-TOOL Model No. 1
110 V. A.C-D.C.   65 WATTS
Mfd. by DREMEL MFG., CO.
RACINE. WIS,. U.S.A
Suitable for household use only.
on it. I am currently unable to show any pictures on it and was wondering from this information if you were able to tell me anything on the model no. 1 or give me a link to a website that does. Possible values would also be nice.

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Dremel No.1 - Is it possible?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »
eBay lists one  recent sale at $41: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1958-Dremel-Moto-Tool-Model-No-1-Complete-w-Box-Booklet-/381031461551?pt=Power_Tools&hash=item58b73eb2af.  Only you can decide if the money is worth more than a tool from your grandpa.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »
I never had or even saw a no1, cool!

I used a #2 for at least 25 years. Mine still had its hammer finish tin box when I got it. 
 Used it like a plow horse, the little fart lasted forever!

Finally the thing that did it in, was the switch. The switch finally died.
Then it turned out to be so hard to get out of there, I scratched the windings and the ballgame was over.
   yours Scott

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:00:56 AM »
The no. 2 was the upgraded version of the no. 1, I believe. By upgraded, I mean they were sold at the same time, but the no. 2 cost a bit more.

Chilly

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »
Just for the hell of it I ran it.
Fasten your seatbelt and put your seat in the upright position before looking.

Those damn things were expensive in 49. 
Even considering the number of machined parts and cost of assembly, tools were much more expensive in the 50s.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:40 PM »
Small electric tools were a scandal once.
  Many old popular mechanics show a one speed 1/4" drill for exactly the same price as a South Bend lathe.   
   yours Scott

Offline donald_wa

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
I had one as a kid. sometime in the late 50's. The case was bakelite a some point it got dropped and cracked. Too bad for me now.

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 02:28:06 PM »
This got me thinking about my old Dremel.  Mine doesn't give a model number, top line just reads "Moto-Tool", also no patent no., reads "Pat Pend". Came in a wooden box with dremel logo stenciled on lid. Also has catalog inside,  that gives the differences between model 1 & 2. Model 1 gets 25,000 rpms, model 2 gets 27,000. Model 1 would run you $9.85, while no.2 was $16.50. Unfortunately there's no date inside catalog but I'm guessing1940's. I don't have a scanner but took some pics below with my phone, hopefully it's clear enough to read.

Online geneg

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »
Man!  That thing is a keeper.  I love it.  The old Craftsman one that I have has a cheap leatherette over hardboard case & has none of the character of yours.

Offline pritch

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »
I have a Monkey Wards one from the late '60's. Still works great and I use it often. Did they make there own stuff of buy it like Sears?

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 08:45:04 AM »
I have a Monkey Wards one from the late '60's. Still works great and I use it often. Did they make there own stuff of buy it like Sears?

Wards bought stuff just like Sears.  I have 3  #45 combination planes: one Stanley, one Sears, and a third marked Wards.  All parts are interchangeable.  Except for the Stanley mark, all are identical.