Author Topic: Baxter Auction (Indianapolis) auction Feb 14, 2015  (Read 8851 times)

Offline mvwcnews

Re: Baxter Auction (Indianapolis) auction Feb 14, 2015
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »

Stan, if you want, I have the picture without the inserted lettering on it. ..
No, the photo with  inserted letters & rule is just fine -- I've already copied, gray-scaled etc. that one. 

I wonder whose collection (s) Baxter was selling.  Lots of those items had been in someone's collection for a long time - going back to the 60s or possibly even earlier.

Regards, Stan S.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
Wow, a Newhouse wolf trap wrench. (Even the name sounds cool!) Hard to imagine they once sold for 25 cents per pair.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
Wow, a Newhouse wolf trap wrench. (Even the name sounds cool!) Hard to imagine they once sold for 25 cents per pair.

With how rarely they show up for sale, I'd say they didn't sell well. Or they were lost easily, being that you would only be using it when setting the trap out in the woods or where ever you wanted to catch a wolf. 20 cents for what most trappers would have considered a "unnecessary" item in 1900+- would have been a fair amount of money to the trapper. Money better spent on a actual trap, which, btw, a # 4 1/2 newhouse trap would have been $3 at the time. In the same catalog, there is a Newhouse clamp, for holding the springs, wonder how many of those were sold back then.