Author Topic: Anybody familiar with MAC, the disease not the tools !!  (Read 7022 times)

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
Anybody familiar with MAC, the disease not the tools !!
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
This is a no fun Upper respiratory infection.  Anybody have any experience with it ?
 3 meds at once is no fun.  This following a 4 day hospital visit for pneumonia.
It's been a tough Feb!!!

Brian

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
Re: Anybody familiar with MAC, the disease not the tools !!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:22:57 PM »
Nope , don't want any experience like that !
Get well soon.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »
Lost, Thanks !   It's not common but thought I would check here first.

Brian

Offline kxxr

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »
These days you can research till your heart's content on just about any topic. With health topics there is more than you can process. The problem is sorting the good information from the bad.
A good place to read about MAC and other health related subjects is Web MD. It is not so technical that you have to be a physician to understand it, but is complete enough to get a good understanding of the terms, diagnosis and treatment of a given problem. It is a pretty reliable source and will give you a starting point to understanding. There is no one in a better position than you yourself, to make sure treatment is as good as can be. Gone are the days of relying on your doctor alone to come up with all the answers. The smart thing for the patient to do is learn as much as possible. There aren't any short cuts to knowledge. No other person can tell how you feel.
Dig in. Find out what is happening from a mechanical perspective. Find out what is wrong, why it is happening and what those medications are supposed to do. In order to make sure you are getting the best treatment, you have to understand what the objectives are. Get well soon!

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 12:45:43 PM »
Better yet Brian?

Larry

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
Better yet Brian?

Larry

Chilly, the disease I have, once you check clear from it, they continue the 3 antibiotics for another 12 months...  just great !!!!

Actually I lost 25 lbs and am working on my stamina so I can return to work. Lots of walking and exercising.

So I am doing better, thank you !!!

I see you have some challenges, my prayers go out for you.

Brian

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
Better yet Brian?

Larry

Chilly, the disease I have, once you check clear from it, they continue the 3 antibiotics for another 12 months...  just great !!!!

Actually I lost 25 lbs and am working on my stamina so I can return to work. Lots of walking and exercising.

So I am doing better, thank you !!!

I see you have some challenges, my prayers go out for you.

Brian
BrIan,

I hate those antibiotics. They make me exhausted all the time.
I may be able to be off of them after next Wednesday.

Do they wear you out? I am allowed by my insurance to take them home. Do you have to go in every day, or do they let you take them home? Assuming they are IV...

It really is cool what they can do now. Think aboit it, if we got these infections at the time most of these tool we like were made, our chances of getting rid if these things would have been slim. We are all so lucky to be here now.

Heal quickly and find more tools!

Larry

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
I thought I would close out this thread. Tomorrow is my last does of anti-biotics, after a year taking 2 or 3 a day.
Glad to get off them, some people have a lot if problems when on this regiment. I had a good acupuncture Dr. helping me cope.

I also got caught up in the HUGE price increase for meds that were purchased Rodelis Therapeutics.
My Co pay went from $900 a month (reimbursed luckily) to $19,000. That aint a misprint!
So the DR switched me to another med.

And just before the NFL playoff weekend, I had a spontaneous lung collapse of my good lung.
Luckily a chest tube resolved that problem, and I got out in time to see the playoffs

So I hope to put that all behind me now. My Pulmonary Dr advises not being more than an hour from an  ER, as there is a 40% chance of another collapse. I am not going to worry about it. My work place has a 1/4 mile inside walk way, I knocking out 2.5 miles a day to try and get into better shape.

So, I hope to post a little more this year, see you around the forums.

Brian

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Brian, glad you're doing better...does that mean you'll be at Flywheelers this month?

When I was working in the Buick foundry back in the late '60's and early seventies, I had 4 upper respiratory infections and two bouts with pneumonia.  I don't remember  what they gave me, but I know the treatment  wasn't nearly as aggressive as yours.

After the last bout with pneumonia, I finally figured that maybe it had something to do with the 2 packs of cigarettes I smoked every day.  So I quit, and that was the end of the respiratory problems.

I should have figured it out sooner.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools