Author Topic: WEN Model 909 Jigsaw - Will A New Style Bladeholder Fit?  (Read 9855 times)

Offline Mort

WEN Model 909 Jigsaw - Will A New Style Bladeholder Fit?
« on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
So here's the scoop. I have a WEN Jigsaw that I recently polished up, made a Walnut handle for, looks great and works killer. Cord needs to be replaced, but what old power tool doesn't?

Anyhow, The only thing keeping me from using it all the time is the blade holder. For one, it takes an Allen wrench that is such an odd size I can barely ever find it. And two, I think its some sort of screwy design because I tried getting a blade in and it kept coming out. Finally, after it broke the second time, I tore it apart and fixed it up. And here's where we are.

Does anybody know if something new will fit? Possibly something with a tool-less change?

Please and thank you.

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: WEN Model 909 Jigsaw - Will A New Style Bladeholder Fit?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »
The Wen 909 "All Saw" used blades that were peculiar to Wen, with shanks midway in size between the 1/4" shanks common to saber* saws of that period and the shanks of reciprocating saw blades.  I tried grinding down the shanks on some reciprocating saw blades; it worked, but the selection is limited for scrolling work.  I was given this phone number as the number for Wen, which at one time still stocked some blades for this saw: 574-598-2203.

As to the Allen/hex wrench, unless yours has been messed with, it's a standard fractional size.  Can't recall what the size is, but any decent hardware store will have a selection of L-shaped wrenches that should work fine, and replacement screws if your screws are ruined in some way.

Since the blade holder is built into the shaft of the tool, it would be awfully hard to adapt a newer bladeholder to it, although, if you've got a metal lathe or lots of patience with files, it might be possible.  But it would likely be a lot of work.

Functionally, you'd be better off with a modern pro-model jigsaw (there, I'm using what everyone else uses now); it's not hard to find a used Bosch saw, and they run just about forever.  You can get a huge selection of blade styles in any (decent, again) hardware store, lumberyard, big boxy store, online, etc., and the orbital action on the good saws will allow you to cut at speeds that are almost light-saber-like.

I'm sending you a private message, too, on a related subject.
--------------
*At the time these were being sold, "jigsaw" applied to a stationary machine now referred to as a scroll saw.  I occasionally try to use the historically accurate terms, although "jigsaw" long, long since got transferred to the handheld tool.

Offline Mort

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »
Thanks for the info, Bill. I kinda figured it would be more trouble than its worth. After pulling it apart the design seems pretty simple, but my metal fabrication skills are quite limited.

I got your message and responded just now, its been quite busy with work starting back up.

You're right, I'm going with a modern tool. I decided to go all-in and I'll be buying a Festool Carvex this weekend. I think I would use a jigsaw for my projects enough to warrant the extra cost. Good suggestion on the Bosch, though, even the hardcore Festool guys use Bosch jigsaws also.

Thank you also for the education of the accurate terms. Being a younger fella (33), a lot of my tool research has come via the innerwebs, and the terms I have been using are what works in a search. I like being accurate, though. I make sure to not say "Sawzall" unless I'm talking about a Milwaukee product.

Offline Mort

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
On a somewhat related note, if anybody has an original advertisement in a magazine for this "saber saw" I'd be interested in buying it. If its going to be a display piece, that'd be kinda cool to put up next to it.

Shimshon Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »
On a somewhat related note, if anybody has an original advertisement in a magazine for this "saber saw" I'd be interested in buying it. If its going to be a display piece, that'd be kinda cool to put up next to it.

The December 1959 issue of Popular Science (can be found online) has a full page advertisement (page 133) of the Wen-Saw Model 909.  I found it while looking for information about the saw I inherited from my father ... one in almost unbelievably great condition.  As I did, you can use a capture program to copy it.  Alternately, if you are still in want of such copy, send me an e-mail note (halfpast@shaw.ca) and I will attach the page as a tiff file in an e-mail note back to you.
Shimshon

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:57:39 AM »

--------------
*At the time these were being sold, "jigsaw" applied to a stationary machine now referred to as a scroll saw.  I occasionally try to use the historically accurate terms, although "jigsaw" long, long since got transferred to the handheld tool.

I have one of those "jigsaw" tools you mentioned. It weighs 258 lbs. It is a 1937 Yates-American W line scroll or jig saw.  It runs smooth throughout it's whole range.   Interesting thing is that if accepts several blade styles including saber saw blades and jewelers saw blades, in addition to scroll saw blades.

Chilly

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
As we wander from Mort's original question...

I've got my grandfather's Driver Line ("homeowner" line for Walker-Turner) jigsaw (stationary machine).  I've never weighed it; I know I can pick it up myself without hearing vertebrae snapping.  I've also never found a good location for it in my shoplet.  I really should think about building a bigger shop, but, doggone it, I've got stuff I want to make in the shop, instead of doing more carpentry.