Author Topic: Mayhew Tap & Die set  (Read 5166 times)

Offline rusty

Mayhew Tap & Die set
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »

Had to have this when i saw it, even though the cover is broken. Mayhew is not a name commonly associated with taps / dies, but they offered a really nice set at one point....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
Re: Mayhew Tap & Die set
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »
Nice!!!
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
Every old die set I run across, the wood is extremely oil soaked, that almost looks unused!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
I get attached to every old box I come across that at one point held or still holds tools....... I mean, really, who makes a gorgeous box like that for a tool to fit in these days?
    Today, if I order something, I'm praying I won't lop off some appendage trying to get it out of the "bomb- proof " plastic container in which it arrived.
cheers, bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
I get attached to every old box I come across that at one point held or still holds tools....... I mean, really, who makes a gorgeous box like that for a tool to fit in these days?
    Today, if I order something, I'm praying I won't lop off some appendage trying to get it out of the "bomb- proof " plastic container in which it arrived.
cheers, bird

Those plastic containers are a menace as well as just maddening.  I heard that there's a product liability suit because of the danger of cutting oneself trying to pry the stuff open.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
cheers, bird

Those plastic containers are a menace as well as just maddening.  I heard that there's a product liability suit because of the danger of cutting oneself trying to pry the stuff open.

Yeah, opening my "kids" (nephew and niece) toys will certainly come to a disappointing loss of a finger!!!  I tend to tell dad or stevie (my brother)... here's a knife ... you cut it open!!!!   Forget persons that want to steal something... let them steal it and see if they'll ever find out how to open it!!!
love you all,
cheers, bird

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »

You remember those scissors that they used to advertise on TV by cutting a beer can in half? I have a pair of those that I use just to open those stupid packages. I just cut off all four sides and let the package fall apart...

I once had to return something tho, the lady gave me a funny look, I said 'I had a little trouble opening the package", she chuckled and took it back without another word....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:34:32 AM »

You remember those scissors that they used to advertise on TV by cutting a beer can in half? I have a pair of those that I use just to open those stupid packages. I just cut off all four sides and let the package fall apart...

I once had to return something tho, the lady gave me a funny look, I said 'I had a little trouble opening the package", she chuckled and took it back without another word....

I was going to make fun of you for buying scissors that could cut a beer can in half...... but now, I'm wishing I had a pair of those!
cheers, bird

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
I got a pair of those scissors

they came in a plastic package I needed  those kind of scissors to open..

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
Don't think I haven't thought about putting one of those  packages in my vise, and taking a saw to it!!!!!!  Although, with my luck I'd find myself saying, "honey, I'm sorry I cut the doll's head off." !!!!!!!
cheers, bird