Author Topic: Should any of this NOT go through my forge?  (Read 6915 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Should any of this NOT go through my forge?
« on: May 24, 2015, 05:21:34 PM »
Hello there,

Was at a yard sale today, and there were 3 5 gallon buckets full of tools, for $5 per bucket. Naturally, I grabbed them all. And they were stuffed full of stuff I could use. A lot of chisels, even some blacksmithing drifts :D

The rest, I plan to beat/weld things out of. Unless I get word I should do otherwise... I don't know much about this kind of tool, so I thought I'd ask here for help! Anything that said 'China' 'Taiwan' or 'Japan' got tossed straight into the forge bucket :P

If you need a clearer picture of anything, please let me know. I got a TON of tools, so I didn't sit down to photograph each one individually. What you're seeing in these 6 pictures is about half of everything I got :P

The top 3 wrenches in this picture I recognize as being special, they are marked 'Superslim' and 'Made in England' I know I saw someone mention them in another thread... And there are 4 or 5 wrenches that have the same mark on them, looks like an old fashioned police badge with a 'V" in the middle.

Everything below the alligator wrench is marked 'Ford" presumably off Model A or Ts...

Here are a few tractor wrenches... the top one is marked Oxweld, and the one below it is Smiths, so clearly for cutting/welding torches. The rightmost adjustable wrench is a Snap On Blue Point, but it's cracked. Also in the bottom left, you can see a very tiny Perfect Handle screwdriver :3 Also, what are these tractor wrenches made out of? Are they steel? Iron? Cast Iron?

Some pipe wrenches...

The fairly large ball pein hammer on top, and the wrench immediately below it are marked PROTO. But I don't recognize anything else... Thewrench on the bottom has an odd end. And the long one on the left side is odd as well...

This picture has a few interesting things... There's a Bell Systems brace, the lower most set of pliers are Stanley Sweet Hearts. The wood depth gauge (?) is marked Stanley. (there's a model number on that one, should be easy to look up) That thing on the bottom looks familiar, but I'm not sure... is that a can opener? And above it appear to be the earliest swivel-head socket wrenches? XD The 2nd and 3rd set of pliers fromt he top are kind of interesting, never seen any shaped like that, look like little pirhanas. The upper one is rusted away within an inch of its life, though, and the lower one is broken off.

Not bad for $15 :3
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:27:02 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline JUNK-MAN

Re: Should any of this NOT go through my forge?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
OH NO man!!!! Don't throw any of them away if you don't want them sent them my way I'll pay shipping there all god and usable tools I would actually hurt my if you melted them down. :cry: :shocked:

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
How long is the alligator wrench, and does it have any markings?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 06:15:29 PM »
I'd be interested in the brake adjusting wrench. The long 8 point box wrench in the second photo from the bottom. It's the grey looking one on the left in the photo.
You can PM me.
Thanks
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline JUNK-MAN

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:30:14 PM »
Please PM me I would like the blue point and any that no one else wants it is a shame to melt them up.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
OH NO man!!!! Don't throw any of them away if you don't want them sent them my way I'll pay shipping there all god and usable tools I would actually hurt my if you melted them down. :cry: :shocked:

Forge, not smelter :P Nothing is going to be melted. Just... changed... Probably leaving behind aspects of it to show what it once was. Sort of like this: (note, I didn't make these ones)

How long is the alligator wrench, and does it have any markings?

It is 9" from tip to back. The only markings are "HII" stamped pretty deep into it on both sides, though they are not even, or aligned, so I don't think this is a manufacturers mark... Has very nice shape teeth on one of the inner faces, the other face is smooth. Don't know if this denotes a special type, or if they're all this way... First alligator wrench I've ever held in my hands, actually.

I'm not really looking to sell off the tools, just trying to make sure I don't destroy something rare. I mean, I'll sell some if you see something you want. But, 'Whatever no one else wants' isn't an option :P Because I want them. Some of them will even be used as intended... Definitely keeping that Smiths wrench for my Smiths cutting torches, for example.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:10:11 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »
I'm always interested in snath wrenches.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »
Clean that alligator just a bit and keep it because it is cool. The jaw is correct, teeth on only one side.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
Clean that alligator just a bit and keep it because it is cool. The jaw is correct, teeth on only one side.
Was planning on it, actually. :) I've been curious to use one since I first saw them.

Looked a bit closer at it, and three teeth are chipped, but not too big of a deal.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »
WOW!! Looks like You got some nice collectable tools..  I think that (can opener) tool on the bottom is for windshield rubber removal..
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:36:30 PM »
I picked up an old Snap On tool box today for $5 that was filled with rusted up tools, a closer look shows only about 5 or 6 wrenches that may clean up with a vinegar bath and the rest is mostly junk. The box itself is about 2 1/2" deep, maybe 8' wide and about 20" or so long, the handle is missing and the clasps are broken and I thought I did well but I think you blew me out of the water. I have no camera with me right now,seem to have left it some place last week but I can't recall where. I'll post some pics when I find it. If some body is interested in the tool box I'd be interested in a trade for Barcalos or Walden Worcesters.

Offline zeet

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:17:29 PM »
I'd be interested in the brake adjusting wrench. The long 8 point box wrench in the second photo from the bottom. It's the grey looking one on the left in the photo.
You can PM me.
Thanks

Lostmind, you beat me to the punch there... That brake wrench sure reeks of early Plomb.  I was going to speak in it's defense and offer it a new home.  :grin:

Offline zeet

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »
Twilight, I'd be happy to put that Proto hammerhead back into service!

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 11:44:23 PM »
In the bottom picture, the bottom tool is a can opener with a bottle cap lifter on the back side; the swivel head "socket wrenches" immediately above are handles for the valves on old fuel delivery trucks  (WHEATON was a primary maker of the valves ).  Is there any maker name or mark on the locking pliers?  It is not a VISE-GRIP but there were lots of copycats after initial patents expired in the mid 1940s.

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 09:05:13 AM »
I like the wooden marking gauge.  Is it up for grabs?