Author Topic: Any ideas  (Read 7919 times)

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
Re: Any ideas
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
Thank you Branson,
those links explains a lot to those who haven't seen a Hand Router before...

Neals, can we see different views of your hand router? At that angle the tip looks like a spike, but a side view may explain a lot..
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »
These are the only pics I have

Offline Yadda

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
I hope we don't descend into personal attacks over an old tool and its form and function.

Here, here!!  I agree with Papaw.   If it continues I recommend brickbats at 20 paces..... :grin:
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
It sure looks from the photo like that's the cutter for the tool.  So the apparent curve upward on the bottom of the cutting edge is either an optical illusion, or really really bad grinding by a previous owner.

Pretty thing.  I wouldn't turn one down if I found it in my travels, but I'm happy with my Stanley 71-1/2s and 71s, and is this a place where I can safely mention that I like all four of them without people wondering why I own more than one?

Offline Yadda

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
I wouldn't turn one down if I found it in my travels, but I'm happy with my Stanley 71-1/2s and 71s, and is this a place where I can safely mention that I like all four of them without people wondering why I own more than one?

This is a place of happy enablement.  Not that there's anything wrong with that... :grin:
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »
Many thanks guys! I hope to buy it but so far no luck.

Offline oldtoolguy

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:38 PM »
If you get it, all you have to do is turn the blade so the cutting edge faces the opening, and slide it up into position.  Then you're ready to start routing! 

Offline Branson

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 07:03:46 AM »
It sure looks from the photo like that's the cutter for the tool.  So the apparent curve upward on the bottom of the cutting edge is either an optical illusion, or really really bad grinding by a previous owner.

Pretty thing.  I wouldn't turn one down if I found it in my travels, but I'm happy with my Stanley 71-1/2s and 71s, and is this a place where I can safely mention that I like all four of them without people wondering why I own more than one?

It does look like the PO ground the bottom of the blade to make an almost 90 degree flat near the cutting edge.  I haven't seen that before, but perhaps he wanted something closer to a paring chisel format.

I've resisted the urge to get a second 71 or 71 1/2.  but if it were cheap enough my resistance would likely crumble.  So I'm limited to one of each, a 271, and the bronze coachmaker's hand router.  The real wonder is that I don't have more.

Offline Branson

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »
If you get it, all you have to do is turn the blade so the cutting edge faces the opening, and slide it up into position.  Then you're ready to start routing!

That's the most common position for the blade, and the one I use.  However, many of these blades can be reversed, and sometimes are.  Sometimes.  It seems that in some operations the worker wants a completely unimpeded view of what's in front of the blade.  Haven't tried it myself, but I have seen it.   Maybe if one is cleaning out the bottom of a stop dado it helps, making it more like a chisel plane.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »
Is there a particular type of route this is designed to perform?  Different bits?
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
Is there a particular type of route this is designed to perform?  Different bits?

Mostly it's used for fielding down.  I've used mine mostly for making hinge mortises, but also for
cleaning and evening dados.  It also works for inletting when carving bas relief and making a
flat surface below the top of a piece of wood -- like the finishing bottoming for a box to hold
a sharpening stone, or things like making the recess under a patch-box in rifle stocks.

Blades are mostly different only in the width of the blade, but there are blades that aren't
flat across the edge.  These may have a skew edge, or, more commonly, are  skewed
on both edges to a V shape.  While other shapes can be imagined and useful in some
applications, the above are the only shapes I have seen.

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »
Also known in the UK as an 'old woman's tooth' or 'hag's tooth' router....

Offline Branson

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »
Also known in the UK as an 'old woman's tooth' or 'hag's tooth' router....

Yep.  This pattern is a "D" handle.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:14 AM »
I hope we don't descend into personal attacks over an old tool and its form and function.

Amen!!!!!! We are supposed to be united by our love for tools!!!!!!
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »

Mostly it's used for fielding down.  I've used mine mostly for making hinge mortises, but also for
cleaning and evening dados.  It also works for inletting when carving bas relief and making a
flat surface below the top of a piece of wood -- like the finishing bottoming for a box to hold
a sharpening stone, or things like making the recess under a patch-box in rifle stocks.

Blades are mostly different only in the width of the blade, but there are blades that aren't
flat across the edge.  These may have a skew edge, or, more commonly, are  skewed
on both edges to a V shape.  While other shapes can be imagined and useful in some
applications, the above are the only shapes I have seen.

I am not very experienced with wood hand tool methods, but I am curious. What would be the difference in a blade (or blades) used at other times during the day. Is it (evening dado blade) because you would be somewhat wore out that late in the day? E.G., Would morning dados be easier or harder to cut than evening dados? Would a different bit be used to true up the bottom of a dado?

Hmmmm.  :embarrassed:

I think I'm a but rusty having been out of the game for a couple of months.

Always like your responses and obvious expertise Branson - so I hope you know that my comments came from a warped way of reading things sometimes and the joke was meant to showcase my idiocy.

Regards,

Chilly