Author Topic: Bladesmith on tv  (Read 10977 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: Bladesmith on tv
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:33 AM »
I am a fire protection engineer with 33 yrs experience.

Fire is always a preventable catastrophe. Things burn very fast. It is not like the movies, ever.

To let a fire burn out in order to rebuild machinery is not a good idea. Even though water would cool it quickly, if it was that hot it is too warped already. Temperatures can easily exceed 2500º, and flash the whole structure and blowing themself out.

The only thing unaffected structurally is un- burned wood structure.

Aunt Phil is absolutely correct. You would be surprised how many fires are extinguished with very little water, open the door a crack, open your fog nozzle in there for a few seconds, then close the door. The amount of energy expended turning that water to steam does the trick.

And don't get me started on much of the fire service. Its getting better, but a huge part of this country is still protected by volunteers - many good, but way too many under trained.

Chilly

(You set 'em, and we'll wet 'em! - right Phil?)

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »
Well Chili I always call sprinklers air conditioning for firemen.  Gotta keep them boys cool while they play with the superdollar trucks you know. 

Funny thing is, the more expensive the truck is, the less firefighting gets done around here.  I can think of 2 Districts sporting multiple $250,000 trucks with IAFF members out the tailppipe, who couldn't put out a Boy Scout Ca,pfire without pulling a second alarm.  They damn sure got no idea how to draft a stream either, so the pumpers carry no hard line. 
Go 10 miles west to 100% vollie companies, and you find trucks that cost less than half, what the IAFF specials do, carrying hard line and strainers along with attic pipes and water curtains who put fires out.  Most of the vollie companies also run with female firefighters, and those girls are every bit the equal of male IAFF members if not superior to them.  Vol companies don't even have to hold a Union meeting on the way to the fire.

Making wewee on the roof doesn't stop much fire when the red stuff is inside the roof, and char patterns on plywood and 2x4s tell a hell of a lot of story to a skilled investigator.  The place had red cedar siding, and that only charred above breakthrough points.  Of course filling the cellar with water accomplished a lot. 

1 real fireman with an ax to punch a fog line through the overhead door could have knocked it down in minutes. 
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 06:57:01 PM »
I agree about the volunteers, and female firefighters, too.  But there is something to be said for size.  I disagree with lowering the physical fitness standards, just to be more inclusive. The problem is still the 80%, not the 20% who are extraordinary. Volunteers are hard to come by, good or great firefighters are still rare.

I am specifically talking about front line firefighters, not emt's and other life safety types.

Sprinklers are more than cooling. Your chance of dying from fire in a fully sprinklered building is as close to never (it is currently unmeasureable) as you can get.  Also, not very likely to damage anything. Even the water damage is less than if fought by firefighters alone.

That is why they have been installing water based fire protection since the stone age.

Chilly

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
Comon Chili, enough with the advertising.

Did you really expect Og to install Halon in the cave?  He had enough problems with stone buckets.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Comon Chili, enough with the advertising.

Did you really expect Og to install Halon in the cave?  He had enough problems with stone buckets.

Like I said, you set em, we'll wet em.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Shutgun, the tool you need after Chili leaves the job.

https://static.squarespace.com/static/52dd94c7e4b032209174c4fe/t/5488ae0ce4b051e70e1561fd/1418243596169/Shutgun-brochure-Dec+2014final.pdf

SprinkOff with the extendable pole can be found in every Walmart store.  They know about Chili's gang.  Unfortunately, Chili didn't install enough sprinklers for Sprink Off to stay in business.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
I installed them - but not enough fires were set.

Probably not in business because a wood wedge is cheaper.

Chilly

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »
Come on Chillly.  You know the level of destruction a Wallyworld Associate could create with a wedge and a ladder? 

It would be worse than these UNION Professionals with half a million Dollars of tools who didn't stay awake for the whole class on which hose feeds which computer controlled truckiepoo.

Notice how effective the truck is waiting for the flacid 5" to be connected.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 08:03:40 PM »
Lol

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 12:37:10 AM »
The 5 was hand humped across the lawn because the Quint carrys no supply, depends on the following pumper to lay supply to the Quint.
1st pumper in made the hydrant and laid a 3 up the driveway, leaving their 5" bunked.

The IAFF professionals from North Greece were second company dispatched- the primary arrived late, so the guys from N Greece who were 2 miles away watching the smoke grow decided to come to the party.  1st company finally showed up, but they could only pump because the driveway was filled with 3" hose. 

The fire could have been knocked down with a 1½ using fog if somebody showed up with one on time.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
You're the best advertisement for my services, Phil.

Its been good trade for me - haven't had to look for a job or fill out a resume for 33 yrs. Always have had people knocking at the door if they thought I wasn't busy or happy.  It's a good enough living. Even if owners would rather upgrade their carpet than have fire sprinklers installed. I've been able to have designed the systems on some of the mist recognizable buildings in town and even in some other areas of the country.

Chilly

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 07:53:03 PM »
You're the best advertisement for my services, Phil.

Its been good trade for me - haven't had to look for a job or fill out a resume for 33 yrs. Always have had people knocking at the door if they thought I wasn't busy or happy.  It's a good enough living. Even if owners would rather upgrade their carpet than have fire sprinklers installed. I've been able to have designed the systems on some of the mist recognizable buildings in town and even in some other areas of the country.

Chilly

Not me Chilly. 
I'm a good little retarded boy, got paperwork that says so from a highly thought of boy's prison.  I might be mute too.

Besides, I'm working on something that might scare you, and I'm conspiring with a man who got an award for building a contraption to fight aircraft fires at altitude. 

Now I gotta decide if I want to introduce Co2 into a cylinder of water to cause the water to rapidly leave the cylinder on its way down the hose, or just use boring Nitrogen.  My Co2 idea comes from ancient days of Chemical Fire Wagons where the Firemen swore the Co2 generated by dumping acid into the soda laden water in the tank had superior suppression qualities to plain water.

I tell ya, it's tough out here in the tin building without sprinklers except the experimentals on top of the roof that keep the place cool.   If I only had that fancy City Water Line to play with, but I don't.  I can't even have a well. 

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »
I travelled to PA some 8 yrs or so ago to check out a new system that victaulic was working on. It didn't have a name at the time, but it was incredible to see in action.

After we toured the factory where they make Vic fittings we drove out to an old concrete building. The building had been built by Thomas Edison, he was going to pump concrete to the city from there or something.

There was this room, maybe a 30' x 30' x 20' tall. We looked in through a big open doorway, maybe 12' x12'. Inside the room was a pan of heptane, about 1 meter square x 10cm deep.  They lit the heptane on fire, the flames were taller than me. After 20 seconds or so they set off the mist system. The room fikked up with a cloud, but the water droplets were so fine they didn't stick to anything.  The fure just died down and went out. 

It was amazing, and it only used a couple of gallons of water- propelled by nitrogen.

Now its called a Vortex system.

I think that whatever properties your friend thought he noticed wuth CO2 would be the same with nitrogen,  only a little less expensive.

Chilly

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
Chilly my man, look into the properties Nitrogen takes on at altitudes above 20,000 feet.  Nitrogen acts in a completely different manner than on the ground.   Co2 is blessed with some strange properties as well, especially given that it's stored as a liquid and must boil off.  On the other side of the coin, Co2 offers maximum cubic feet of gas per pound of stored material.  Then there's the old soda fountain foaming effect with Co2 you don't get with Nitrogen (the kids won't understand that). 
Co2 also dissolves in water inside a tank very rapidly, and the dissolved Co2 expands fast when the restraining pressure of the containment vessel is no longer present.  Just pop the cap on an old fashioned bottle of soda when it's hot, or run bulk soda through a dispenser that isn't chilled.  FOAM CITY without adding foamite.  Add Foamite and you got a party like a laundromat where somebody poured a bottle of Amway Super Sudz concentrate in the machine and walked away.

All I gotta do is make it all happen in a 2 gallon vessel, then I can expand it to a 100 gallon vessel.
Just think of the mess I can make playing with this idea.

Closest anybody ever let me to a test burn chamber was when somebody (who shall remain nameless) bought accidentally according to him the burn test chamber at the old BernzOmatic factory for 10 bucks.  I was told I had a "truck body" to move, and it had to be moved in 2 weeks.
RIGHT!
That chamber was still sitting there 5 years ago when I drove past the place. 
I don't get allowed around a bunch of fun places in Rochester.