Author Topic: Bottle opener tester?  (Read 9675 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Bottle opener tester?
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »
So... here's a strange question... I started making bottle openers the other day... but I am kind of guessing on the jaws end. And they're all free-hand, so I need a way to check to make sure they work as they should. But, it's kind of a ridiculous idea to open a bottle for every opener I make :P

Anyone have a clever idea of how to make a go/no-go tester? XD

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Bottle opener tester?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 05:04:23 PM »
Take them to the local pub or beer joint.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »
The only way I could see it done is perhaps make a bottle cap shape jig. Then just press each opener in to the jig an if it fits snug without gaps then it's good to go.

I would think a straight bar with correct size teeth cut in it would be easiest. Or does it need to be the exact roundness of a bottle?

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:43:27 AM »
The only way I could see it done is perhaps make a bottle cap shape jig. Then just press each opener in to the jig an if it fits snug without gaps then it's good to go.

I would think a straight bar with correct size teeth cut in it would be easiest. Or does it need to be the exact roundness of a bottle?
I was thinking about something like that... I mean, I stuck all of my openers against a bottle, and they all 'fit' fine. I know they are strong enough.... I guess my concern is in how long the part on top can/should be... Does it need to be in the middle of the cap for optimum opening ability? Or can it be longer/shorter without too much issue?

Offline turnnut

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:31:57 AM »
 I would assume that the center is the best location,  too short, you may just bend the edge of the cap,
 and too long, you would be putting downward pressure on the opposite edge.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:38:48 AM »
With the hundreds of thousands already made, I'd look at a bunch of them and see what is the most common configuration.
I think the more important thing is the lip that catches the bottle cap. I have seen some too thick to get a purchase on the lip, and some so thin that they cut the cap.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
As part of a manufacturing course I took we toured a factory. They had this conveyer line that parts came down. A photo was taken an if it didn't match the file photo a arm kicked the part off the line an into a bin of rejects. It did that at amazingly fast rates as well.

Pretty cool but ime sure the setup costs more then all my tools combined lol.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 05:16:55 PM »
All of these work, and each is different. The Craftsman one is left over from some PHAKE work done for me by 64longstep. It is the handle end of a 1/4 drive ratchet.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:01:46 AM by Papaw »

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 07:42:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and answers n.n

Well, it seems that all lengths exist in commercial openers.... The ones in the middle of the cap may be more common, in the future I'll try to aim for that, but I don't feel it's necessary to reforge the ones I've already made that are long. Trying to keep them fast to make so I can sell them cheaply.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
looking good.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:47 PM »
Lookin very good, nice work.

No dought they work. If I was a buyer for a hand held one I would probably want something more ergonomic or easy to fit in my hand an not so big. They look pretty big an heavy but I could be wrong on scale of photo.

You could also almost mount those to the wall or bar or were ever you want.

They still look absolutely great am are Deffintly a very functional conversation piece. I don't even drink an would consider buying one if I saw it for a good price.

Please keep us posted on how this project goes :)
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »
Lookin very good, nice work.

No dought they work. If I was a buyer for a hand held one I would probably want something more ergonomic or easy to fit in my hand an not so big. They look pretty big an heavy but I could be wrong on scale of photo.

You could also almost mount those to the wall or bar or were ever you want.

They still look absolutely great am are Deffintly a very functional conversation piece. I don't even drink an would consider buying one if I saw it for a good price.

Please keep us posted on how this project goes :)

Thank you n.n

They're quite small, actually, and fairly ergonomic. The size varies from one to another... but they are 1/4" square stock. The curved flat piece is roughly the radius of an index finger.

I've used the the biggest, smallest, and the in-betweeniest, and they all work really quite well, actually. I'm pleased and reasonably certain I'll be selling good product. I'm planning on selling them for $7.50. I've got 21 of them made up :P

This, some belt buckles, a few knives, necklaces, and other things are going to be my first time really putting myself in a setting where I can meet and hock my wares. It's important I don't sell anything I'm not confident in, I don't want to have anything to tarnish the start of my reputation. So I've been obsessing over them a bit, hence the original post ^^;

Here's a better picture for scale... This one has the smallest jaws of the lot, it was my first attempt. All the rest fit the cap better. Ignore the anchor, that's a prototype for an unrelated project that didn't come out how I wanted it to :P

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:57:30 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »
You need to make small aligator wrenches to use on child proof caps on pill bottles and those "convenient" twist off caps on water & soda bottles.  Till then, Channellocks will be on my kitchen counter.  Build an aligator with a button hook on the end and you own the SrtRitus community.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
In the second photo I can see there size better, at first I thought they were a lot larger.

I like the fact your focused on selling something of quality an care about the final product.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »
I would find a short piece of round stock, just about the size of a standard bottle top. Epoxy a good, straight cap to the top. Instant go/no go gauge for bottle caps. Would let you check to see if opener catches correctly on the lip of the lid.

Just my completely, non-intellectual idea for something to check my "D" ended openers when I make them.

take it for what it is worth.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.