Author Topic: Box of Vintage Knifes, etc.  (Read 9467 times)

lzenglish

Box of Vintage Knifes, etc.
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
While buying some old tools at an estate sale, I noticed this box of old butchers tools. I was told that these were the tools of the trade frome the 90 year old deseased owner of them. When I took a peek inside the box, I found it full of a who's who of quality brand knifes, so I bought it. Check out the stainless steel apron, and knives with names of "Old File" knife co., "I. Wilson", Sheffield England, "Lee", L. & I. White, etc. Some of them appear to have been sharpened to the max., but all are razor sharp. There are also 2 nice bone saws, with a box of new blades, that I will show later. I figured they do not make very many knifes with the quality of steel like these anymore, and they could be repurposed if nothing else, for the 10 bucks I paid for the works.

Wayne

Edit: I added the rest of the pictures of the collection I purchased, as promised. The bone saw is a Pittsburgh-Erie 25 inch, with about 20 new blades with light superfical rust. The knife in the center of the saw is a "RH(PAL)36" WWII fighting knife, that required a few hours of cleaning by me. And the heavy duty meat tenderizer is a BARR Brothers, from Oakland CA. The rest of the knifes were in another box, which she gave me.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:56:11 PM by lzenglish »

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
Re: Box of Vintage Knifes, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
Nice!!
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
You get the most recent award!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:17:54 AM »
Yep, this is a You Suck award winning haul.  The apron is probably worth more than you paid for the lot.  Some of the knives that look like they've been sharpened to the max are supposed to be that thin.  One I see is currently marketed as a vegetable knife -- I have a couple of these, and they are really handy.  I see several five pin handles, too.  Nice brands! 

But maybe the best part is that it is one man's set of tools, in a trade that nobody thinks much about.  It's just about a class on the trade all by itself.

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the prestigious "You Suck Award", which I accept with Honor Noel! Lol!

Branson: Thanks for the kind words, and I agree that this set is a story all in itself. I could not let it be picked apart, as it was about to be, so I was happy his wife thought enough of my intentions to say take it all for 10 bucks. It will be kept together, and if ever sold, It will "Hopefully" go to someone who can appreciate it's History, and Quality as I do.

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:57:54 AM by lzenglish »

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
Thanks for the prestigious "You Suck Award", which I accept with Honor Noel! Lol!

Branson: Thanks for the kind words, and I agree that this set is a story all in itself. I could not let it be picked apart, as it was about to be, so I was happy his wife thought enough of my intentions to say take it all for 10 bucks. It will be kept together, and if ever sold, It will go to someone who can appreciate it's history, and quality as I do.

Wayne

I really like the way you think!

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Very nice haul of knives there, Wayne. Those butcher knives are great!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline RLT

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
I would love to have a set like that! It would make country life so much easier.

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
Drool! I would love to have a set even half that complete. Not as collectors but as users.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »
Really great score!
And so lucky they hadn't been neglected for a generation and all rusted up like you see so often!
 Superb suckage!!
   yours Scott

Offline rusty

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »

Yup, you deserve the award for that one...

There was a time when knife steel from Sheffield was considered the finest in the world...

Now you need some taters, corn, and a juicy steak for the grill to use them on...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
Nice find
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood