Author Topic: low angle block plane  (Read 9097 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
low angle block plane
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
Hi guys, I'm looking for a low angle block plane..... let me know if you have one for sale.
cheers,
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Branson

Re: low angle block plane
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
I might have one, if I can find it.  Well, I do have several, but the ones I'm not using are probably in storage.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:03:47 PM »
I'd be interested in what you have. If you get around to it, let me know..... although, things in storage could take years to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers, bird
PS I'm so mad, I put in a bid for a Stanley 65 plane, and forgot about it. Someone bought it for 40 bucks, I think.  Damn, I need to keep track of things!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
Which cap?
 A knuckle cap (especially sweetheart) in great shape, 40 was cheap.
   A regular cap from another era and 40 was a bit too much.

Did you miss out or dodge the bullet??
  yours Scott

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »
I believe it was the sweetheart .............. the one that I'm seeing on ebay going for 50-150 bucks right now.  Anyhow, as far as I know, the 65 stanley is a good one to own.
cheers, bird

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:12:04 AM »
Well its a great plane alright.
 But what is your glove size Jenny?
The 65 is big. I wear a size 8, I seldom reach for mine.
I would suggest a sweet little 60 1/2 if you are getting your first low angle.   
 Much cheaper and just so grab-able. I keep 2 of them in the rotation all the time.
     yours Scott   

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
The 60 1/2 is a good bet -- low angle and adjustable mouth.  Good little plane.  I tend to find them around for about $5.

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
  • Leominster Massachusetts
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:04:28 PM »
The 60 1/2 is a good bet -- low angle and adjustable mouth.  Good little plane.  I tend to find them around for about $5.

I agree with Branson. And like he said they can be found pretty reasonably priced. I will look to see if I have something.
Looking for Bluepoint X & XD Series Box Wrenches

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
Well its a great plane alright.
 But what is your glove size Jenny?
The 65 is big. I wear a size 8, I seldom reach for mine.
I would suggest a sweet little 60 1/2 if you are getting your first low angle.   
 Much cheaper and just so grab-able. I keep 2 of them in the rotation all the time.
     yours Scott

I'm guessing my "glove size" is much smaller then any of yours. So, you think the 60 1/2  is a good plane?  I must have five block planes sharpened to slightly different degrees, but, I don't have an actual low angle plane. .....    I suppose my fingures are long enough........... I play the piano at least a half an hour a day.
cheers, bird

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
I'm guessing my "glove size" is much smaller then any of yours. So, you think the 60 1/2  is a good plane?  I must have five block planes sharpened to slightly different degrees, but, I don't have an actual low angle plane. .....    I suppose my fingures are long enough........... I play the piano at least a half an hour a day.
cheers, bird

I think the 60 1/2 is probably just the plane for you, then.  It's the narrowest of the low angles, and ought to fit your hand fine.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »
Open your hand out and measure just below the knuckles with a tailors tape. That's your glove size. Ladies sizes are different than mens when it comes to large, med and small, but they are at least known sizes.
You never know until you know. Hands come in all sizes. Huge people can have small hands and vise-versa. That bony little Jimi Hendrix had hands like a catchers mitt! My friend Bill Franklin had thumbnails you could park cars on!

Everything used to be cued to a persons glove size, before the world went to, one-size-fits-none.
    I have been known to carve saw and plane totes to fit glove sizes. I don't understand why everyone doesn't.
 Nobody wears shoes that are a terrible fit. You should try doing precision work with a poorly fitted tool?
 Might as well stand on one foot in a bucket of peanut butter and whistle Dixie as try to do great work with an ill fitting tool.

But yeah as a general ballpark, I suspect the 60 1/2 might fall right into your hand.
 Try one.

But in case the #65 is too big and the 60 1/2 is too small?
Sargent made a low angle block (generally a huge glove size I think, maybe an 11!) and Millers Falls made one (maybe a bit smaller than a 65), each with slightly different geometry,  and Tom Lie-Neilsen makes one or two now and his are slightly different sizes as well.
 yours Scott 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:22:14 AM by scottg »

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
OK, I'm still not sure how to get my hand size, ... which knuckle?  I'm probably being stupid, but I'd like to know.... makes sense, I don't want a size 4 shoe!!!!!
cheers, bird

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
Bird,

I'm a big fan of the Stanley #60, #60 1/2, #65, and #65 1/2.  All have irons bedded at a low angle, all have adjustable throats, and all are relatively common, so parts are readily available.  I tend to like a heavy plane, so I do favor the #65 equipped with the closed knuckle cap, versus the open style cap as is found on the #65 1/2.  The draw back to the #65 is its size.  It is a little bigger, and heavier, than the #60 and #60 1/2, and there are many times when a smaller plane is the right plane for the job at hand.  But, I still like a little extra weight.  As a result, I bought a Lie-Nielsen #60 1/2.  It's the same size as the old Stanley #60 1/2, the iron is bedded at a low angle, the throat is adjustable, AND it has the closed cap that I like.  And like I said earlier, the Lie-Nielsen #60 1/2 is a little heavier than the tried and true Stanley version.  The draw backs to a Lie-Nielsen are the price (they're expensive at probably $160) and the enjoyment of using a vintage hand plane from years gone by is lost.  I have to admit, my Lie-Nielsen #60 1/2 is on my bench from the start of any project to the very end.  It's a fantastic tool.  If you decide it's not the plane for you, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Stanley #60 1/2.  A proven winner without a doubt!!

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:33:17 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
OK, I'm still not sure how to get my hand size, ... which knuckle?  I'm probably being stupid, but I'd like to know.... makes sense, I don't want a size 4 shoe!!!!!
cheers, bird

OK, you asked for it :) heehehehe
 I cannot draw on a flat surface. If I can get my hands all the way around something, I have a chance.  But flat media of any kind, forget it. My eyes don't work in 2D.
 But here you go anyway. Your glove size.
 yous Scott

Offline rusty

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »

hehehe...I like your picture better, but... http://www.glove.org/glovemeasure.php
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.