Author Topic: Help Identifying Tools  (Read 2574 times)

Offline lspoto

Help Identifying Tools
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »
Hi, All:

I'm new to this forum and I am hoping you can help me.  I was at a flea market this morning and picked-up a box of old tools for my husband (who restores old cars) that look related to some kind of metal working.  I'm stumped!  I Google searched antique tools but came up empty. Can anyone identify what these are?

Thanks!

Lspoto

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Help Identifying Tools
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
Maybe lead working tools for use with a blowtorch. Old time auto body repairs were often done with lead.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »
If the ends are copper then they could be specialized soldering irons, for soldering seams on metal.
Most auto body solder it put on directly from the bar or there were some lead sprayers! 
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:11 PM »
Almost certainly soldering irons of some sort...

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »
Ain't body lead working tools, oldgoaly is 2/3 of the way to right.  The sprayers arrived in the 50s, and were either a nightmare or a dream depending on the day of the week and the amount of recycle in the pot.

Regardless of how the lead, actually 50/50 solder (some guys who were really good also used wheel weights) and once it was stuck to the steel the crap was reworked using a soft flame on the torch and a white pine paddle to push the lead around.  The paddle rested in a bread pan with wool carpet lining the bottom, and the carpet was saturated with No Corode soldering paste.  White pine would tell you fast if the lead was too hot because it charred at specific temperature.  If the paddle charred you were fixin to be sweeping the floor and starting over because the lead was about to slide.

Big PITA was guys using floor sweepings recast.  Alloy solder changes after melt and solidifying just like brass does.  Remel;t is a pure bitch.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!