Author Topic: Unknown Folding (boxwood) Ruler  (Read 2890 times)

Offline FireVet66

Unknown Folding (boxwood) Ruler
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:39:27 PM »
Hello, I'm brand new to site and was looking for information pertaining to a folding ruler I recently purchased as a Christmas gift for a lifelong friend, whom is a master carpenter. It's a 12" Folding pocket ruler. Looks similar to a Stanley #32 or a Lufkin. Only problem is it has no identifying marks on it as to brand or date. It's unlike other folding rules I've seen posted because there are no numbers or lines on the backside of the ruler and the lines on the caliper are only visible in the open position. It has an arch hinge with all brass sides. The only identifying mark is the #79; located under the caliper. Any help in figuring out who made it or what time period it came from would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline bill300d

Re: Unknown Folding (boxwood) Ruler
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »
That's a nice rule. Sorta has a stanley look to it, nice arch joints, and brass bound to boot. Id be thrilled to get that as a gift.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »
It really looks sweet!
BTW, welcome to the Wrench.  Some great folks here, and I bet you get some info on your rule.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

NW

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »
It really looks sweet!
BTW, welcome to the Wrench.  Some great folks here, and I bet you get some info on your rule.
Thanks for the Welcome; there's a lot of neat stuff posted here!

Offline FireVet66

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:43 PM »

Cleaned up pretty well (see pics)
I used Murphy's, then some Brasso on the metal, followed with some more Murphy's and finished with the Beeswax and Orange wood preservative/polish (first time using it,...works great!)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:17:42 PM by FireVet66 »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:20:51 AM »
You do good work!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
I have had similar rules that had all the identifying marks, lines, and numbers worn off the outside from use.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
 did you use the Murphey's oil straight out of the bottle ??   or mix with water ??

Brasso, their containers sure changed in the past few years, used a lot of that with cotton balls back in 1959/1961
 at Fort Bragg, N.C.

will have to try it again.

your rule looks great. 

Offline dowdstools

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
What wvtools said. These were usually carried in a pocket, si it's not uncommon to see them worn this way. I even have a little Stanley ivory rule that is worn down on the outside.

Lynn