Author Topic: Old tongs, wrench or pliers?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline oldgoaly

Old tongs, wrench or pliers?
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:05:04 PM »
don't see any names, think I seen them posted on here but plier wrench bruoght up every yard sale or auction find.
about 20-24" long.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Old tongs, wrench or pliers?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
geez I think I found the answer, looks like someone welded  plates to the pipe wrench.
A Ashcroft patent pipe wrench.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
OG, for the sake of my old eyes, please get a Dollar Store table cloth to photograph things on.  Even the funny pages from the newspaper.  P L E A S E!

That looks like a pair of well rod tongs somebody welded a couple jaws to for some purpose. 
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
no table cloths allowed in the foundry / blacksmith shed! 
some old paper for starting the coal forge fire, it's just scraps

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:27:25 AM »
OG, for the sake of my old eyes, please get a Dollar Store table cloth to photograph things on.  Even the funny pages from the newspaper.  P L E A S E!

I agree, it would make it a lot easier to see the wrench :grin:

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
no table cloths allowed in the foundry / blacksmith shed! 
some old paper for starting the coal forge fire, it's just scraps

You didn't look at your copy of the 2015 revised shop regulations OG.
I dropped off 3 bars right next to the 100# hammer yesterday, in Don's Phoenix Forge, and noted the clean area he calls "concrete floor" as well as the stash of photo background material. 
Photo backdrop material is now allowed under the new rules.

Rumor is 2016 Rules will allow stools and comfortable seating around the big pot belly stove as well. 

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
We still are running under pre-war regs, that's WW2!
The floor is crushed limestone which is easier on the worn out knees!
It's the best floor for a Blacksmith or Foundryman, cheaper than concrete.

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I dunno what they were originally... But they look like a clever modification that would be pretty useful o.o Just adjust the set screw, and you can change what size stock it will hold! Kinda brilliant...

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
Sorry OG, you can't go with Pre WW-II rules if you have a crushed limestone floor.
All crushed limestone was requisitioned by some War Supply Administration for use as furnace flux to be used in steel production in 42.  You must shovel & sweep all your stone, bag it in period appropriate burlap bags, sew them shut and transport them to the nearest Bessimer Converter furnace before 8 December 2015 for the anniversary celebration.

You will be given a nonpriority coupon for sacks of Tennis Court Clay to bring the floor back to the level of the stone.  Failure to comply will bring severe Government consequence and possible money forfeiture.

Twilight, I'm absolutely sure you never pulled a well pump chamber.
I can also provide a list of things that tool will not convert to including lug crimper, tire chain link closer, tube closer come to mind immediately.
They are very close to a perfect tool for gripping a pump rod and holding it as exists WHEN PROPERLY ADJUSTED and as close to a worthless hunk of iron for all other purposes.  The handles are good quality steel and can be removed for reuse making other tools.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »
Aunty!
You assume I don't have iron melting capabilities!  The B16 mcengelvan crucible furnace can melt iron.
Now I don't use cause I can't handle 50# of 2-3000* metal in and out of the furnace.
Now there also is a unfinished cupola project on the way back burner. 
I can't find good help to make molds, recycle sand, melt metal.  It's hard work! 
30 yrs I've been accumulating stuff, got too many worn out joints.
Bad knees, bad hips, bad shoulders, bad attitude! growing old ain't for sissies!

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 01:50:22 AM »
OG I got enough bent, broken, worn and rebuilt parts to match you, possibly even surpass you.

Seems like I got a book full of guys who owe me one too, half of em went and died still oweing.
I spent 30 years of my life on the road, last 15 for one company living & working out of the motorcoach and later custom built motorhome, generally under man power or with local man power that didn't want to learn.  I got a head full of ways to do 3 man jobs by myself. 

Rule #1, Phil neither lifts or carrys anything over 10 pounds.  My Chiropractor makes less money and I saw ouch much less.  Its been many years since I felt I needed to prove anything enough to say ouch to do so.

Far as melting iron goes, I know a couple people who still do that in the city, and I am completely willing to let them do so.  The ones still in business owe me favors. 

When it comes to attitude, I don't have any attitude problem.  Phil has an attitude, and it isn't a problem for Phil.  Most people don't want to make my attitude their problem either. 

Since you have a furnace, you may apply to the appropriate government agent for permission to retain a small percentage of your floor for flux.  Good luck finding the correct agency.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
Hey OG, quit with the excuses already.  When you finish bagging the limestone, study this book and get the foundry fired up.
http://www.archive.org/stream/plantproductofme00mest#page/n5/mode/2up

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
Funny you should send reading material, been refreshing the bookmarks and reading on ornamental & Holtzapffel lathes!
The whole reason for the having the foundry was to make very low run car parts, parts for old pedal & treadle tools, and toy/salesman sample toys.  Still like playing with lathes!

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:14:07 PM »
As long as you restrict yourself to playing with the lathe and not making more than 3 of anything it's fine.  More than 3 identical parts is WORK and must be avoided after a certain age.

I still find it difficult to believe there are people who think mulling sand and melting beer cans and tranny housings is recreation.  Usually I scare hell out of them pointing out aluminum ingots can and should be poured off into styrofoam coffee cups for easier remelt than huge bread pans.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »
not many beer cans and swarf, but when I do melt them together, lots of swarf.
I don't remember how many pounds we have poured, but what is left over we make ingots.
Got 4 ingot molds made, 3 are around 3-5lbs, one is 5 to 7lbs (why the difference? how full you pour them)
probably another 2-300 pounds of scrap, and 50-100 pounds of sprues, gates, bad casting to be remelted.
 here is a crappy pic of the ingots on the shelf. If you do facebook there are a few thousand pics of my shop and projects.