Author Topic: I've been moving, but now I'm back!  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Branson

I've been moving, but now I'm back!
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »
Hi all!  I don't think I've been here since Nov 20 or so.  It's been moving time for us.  Couldn't take the old neighborhood any more.  We not only have a new (to us) house, but a new town.  Bigger house, bigger shop space, and a much smaller community.  My wife had to spend a week in training (four days in Southern CA) so we've been moving a little of this and a little of that each day since Nov 19.  The house is mostly moved in.  I'll move a few last things from the house today, and then it's up to some movers to get the china cabinet and the piano.  Then I have the shop to move...  Gonna get some movers for the heavier things there before going after the tools and supplies.

The next door neighbors held a neighborhood Christmas party last Thursday, so we got to meet a lot of our new neighbors.  Great folks, all of them!  Three other woodworkers, four artists, two professional gardners, a stone mason, a tile man, and one is growing medicinal marijuana now that he has "retired" from the family farm.  The previous owner of our house (an aircraft mechanic) came to the party as well.  His parents bought the house in 1940, and he and his wife lived there until recently. 

I can't believe how relieved I feel to be in this small town!   Real neighbors!  I met four of them when they saw us moving in some heavy things and just came over to help.  I haven't had a neighborhood like this since I was a kid.  I'd pretty much forgotten what it was like.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: I've been moving, but now I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
Good for you!

Good neighbors are indeed a treasure
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »
We haven't moved since 1976, but have helped family and friends numerous times. Always good to find good neighbors.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
Just remember: everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Take just about everyone here on papawswrench: I am sure the general public thinks we are mildly insane!

Here is a good one for everyone:  What is the worst thing about the moving process?
Me?  I dread hanging pictures and mirrors.  I like pictures and mirrors just fine--but I hate hanging them.  Don't know exactly why, but I just do.
How about you?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »
Washer , dryer , Refrigerator, couch
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 06:55:28 PM »
Painting!

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
Wife and I bought a new to us house last March, did major renovations and finally moved in October. Can't say which part was the hardest or which part I disliked the most, I found I was pissed off several times at small things that were not going the way I wanted but it all came out fine at the end and it's all behind us now. Planing it all out and then seeing it all come together brought a sense of accomplishment that felt good. I got a nice shop that's 26' x 46' with a 16' ceiling that also has a tiny bathroom and a small mezzanine floor. It had no workbenches no shelves and no stairs up to the mezzanine so there is still lots of things to do out there. Have even started unpacking any of my tool collection which will be a major project in itself. House has a good bed and a nice shower so what more can a guy ask for. My wife got what she wanted in terms of new kitchen, flooring, appliances etc etc. Neighbors that I have met so far all seem to be good people and 3 of them are guys I worked with in the past and there great guys with similar interests So, so far so good. When I get things unpacked and sorted out I'll post some pics. Until then Merry Christmas to everybody and their families. Have a good one guys and gals.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »

Here is a good one for everyone:  What is the worst thing about the moving process?
Me?  I dread hanging pictures and mirrors.  I like pictures and mirrors just fine--but I hate hanging them.  Don't know exactly why, but I just do.
How about you?
All of it !!!!!
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
my last move was in 1968

I think packing was my top dislike.

today, moving is not in the picture.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
I don't like the exhaustion from the 16 or 18 hour days. There is a sense of accomplishment when it is completed.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
Just remember: everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
Take just about everyone here on papawswrench: I am sure the general public thinks we are mildly insane!

Such insanity seems to be present in the neighborhood, though maybe not quite so well developed.  The previous owner built on a room about 17 feet square, with its own sink for building flying model airplanes.  There were a couple still in the garage when we first looked at the house with about four foot wingspans.  He seems to be well regarded in the neighborhood still.  So there's hope.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 08:17:15 PM »
Been in the same house since 1977, but seem to get tagged to help others move  at least once a year.  So much easier when it isn't your stuff.   Lost my last neighbor, so am alone here in the valley, so there won't be any block parties for me.  Glad you found the house the spouse likes.  That counts for a lot. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society