Author Topic: Ron Geesin the Spanner Guy  (Read 5239 times)

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Ron Geesin the Spanner Guy
« on: December 22, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »
Ron Geesin the premier Spanner guy in the UK is in the process of publishing a book on UK spanner makers. He sent me a link to this video about him and a teaser for his upcoming book. The video gives you a glimpse of his vast collection. I hope you enjoy it.
Les

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev4qo5zKqWY

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Ron Geesin the Spanner Guy
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
A fantastic collection and an awaited book.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:31:36 PM »
 Wow!
I saw my June 9 '97 (50 years to the day before I blinked on!)  Elgin alligator spanner at 3:20.
I want to see more!
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
 thanks for sharing Lewill2,  I also have been waiting for the book to hit the scene.

I hope that he finishes it in my lifetime.

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »
He ran into a snag because his editor had a medical issue that has delayed the book. Hopefully it will be published in early 2016.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:38:26 PM »
Last time I checked the publisher's web site the projected date was March 2016;  another place said Febr.  I'm going to spring for  extra & order direct from Ron's "headscope" (http://www.headscope.co.uk/) website to get an autographed copy -- he does not have the book listed there yet but said that's how he planned to handle direct sales.

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »
I received an email from Ron today in response to a question I has for him. He stated that the book is out and he is trying to get copies in transit. Can't wait until I get one.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »
if we ordered thru the UK,  how would we pay for the book ???    Frank

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »
See Stan's reply #5, if you go to the web site I'm sure there is a way to pay on line with a credit card or through PayPal. There will probably be a way to purchase through Amazon at some point.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
 My copy is ordered. Will not allow it to leave the premises but you are welcome to stop by and peruse it anytime.

Illinois Jim
                                                                                                                                  (there are 2 of us in MVWC and I'm the Illinois edition)
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:11 PM »
My copy was shipped by Ron on the 18th & arrived today (28th).  I used his "headscope" web site & payment was by credit card to a PayPal account which took care of the currency transfer issue.
As for the book at this point all I can say is wow!  In terms of narrative & style it puts our stuff to shame.  It's not a book you're likely to haul around to meets or take out to the shop because it is that elegant.  You can construct your own checklist from the info in the book, and after handling wrenches you'll want to wash up before touching that book.
If I can use a dining analogy, the book is like Wedgewood china compared to our Melmac.
As for coverage of the topic, after a quick skim, I can't think of a British nut wrench I'm aware of that is not in there.  I say nut wrench because it does not go into pipe wrenches.
I'll have my copy on display at the MVWC spring meeting, so if you're coming to York you can see for yourself.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
Got my copy this morning  and got so interested in skimming thru it I forgot to eat breakfast.
Also reading a 1880 copy of THomson's Southern Palestine and Jerusalem and am only on page 177 of 591. Hope I remember to eat lunch.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Online Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 05:55:39 PM »
I was away all weekend and got home this afternoon and was happy to see my copy of Ron's book in my stack of mail. I'm also impressed.  I'm interested in UK wrenches that are also patented in the US. Looks like there is another one that I spied in Ron's book.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
Thank you Lewill2 for the heads up, I had never heard of Ron Geesin let alone his spanner book.  I've ordered a copy through Fishpond an web book shop I deal with all the time.

BWT Do you have the equivalent of our  Australian "Booko" ? It is a site that lists all the  bookshops that have the book you're looking for,  in our case in Au$.  For this book it listed 21 sites and the price (including postage or 0 postage) varied from Au$44.17 to $85.95 !? Fishpond was $44.79
Thanks again
Graeme

Offline turnnut

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 12:03:48 PM »
my book arrived in only 9 days, and Ron obliged me by signing my copy.

have not had too much time for reading, but flipping thru it, it is very impressive.

I paid thru paypal without any problems.

thanks to all who helped me make my decision to buy it. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:39:46 PM by turnnut »